cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 71 of 304

Re: BT Cloud beta client 21.2.3

@vuumwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

BT Cloud Backup is for Files only, it is not designed to Backup Folders. 

Also, Backup Files must be Uploaded from the primary folders of Documents, Pictures, and Desktop, and/or sub-folders within them.   

Incorrect - Backup files can be uploaded from any folder, even from drive root and it will also backup folders as well as files.
Untitled-1.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 72 of 304

@vuumwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

BT Cloud Backup is for Files only, it is not designed to Backup Folders. 

Also, Backup Files must be Uploaded from the primary folders of Documents, Pictures, and Desktop, and/or sub-folders within them.   

Incorrect - Backup files can be uploaded from any folder, even from drive root and it will also backup folders as well as files.
Untitled-1.jpg

That is simply not true.  If you attempt to do this you will be notified that your Sync Preference for the Folder should be changed, so it can be backed up. 

If you change your Preferences to agree with this, the Folder will be removed from what yo call the Drive Root and therefore ceases to be synced.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 73 of 304

INCORRECT - It is set as per my screen capture without errors and is successfully copying changed and new files from the selected folders (outside MyDocuments) up to the BTCloud servers. Has been like this for ALL version of the desktop software working as designed.

0 Ratings
Message 74 of 304

@vuumwrote:

INCORRECT - It is set as per my screen capture without errors and is successfully copying changed and new files from the selected folders (outside MyDocuments) up to the BTCloud servers. Has been like this for ALL version of the desktop software working as designed.

I attempted to do as you said, before my last reply.   Please don't take my word for it, see the BT Cloud response below:

JTS1_0-1617125667960.png

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 75 of 304

Great, I said, I've been contacted by BT Cloud support and I have been offered the newest version of BT Cloud (v 21.2.8). My problems will go away!

To be sure, I uninstalled the currrent version of BT Cloud. Moving the data files in AppData/Local/BTCloud-data was unhelpful as it would require a new BT Cloudxx envelope folder.

When I set the PCs to synchronise, it started by downloading the contents of the BT Cloud Web back to the PCs. These were valued files around 20 years old that had not been moved around.  This was an unnecessary operation. A waste of time and demanding with respect to data transfer.

Nevertheless, synchronisation continued.  My travel folder was reached, where I had saved a scan of our new passports and overwrote the old version of passports.jpg. BT Cloud decided I’d really want the old versions so downloaded the old version and made the new one a conflict copy. Apparently that is the designed modus operandi of BT Cloud

henryfm_0-1617150681133.png

This extract shows how BT Cloud used to handle versions of a file and how it does now, apparently by design.

henryfm_1-1617151100585.png

The new .xlsx  file was marked as a conflict version, when BT Cloud decided to download the old version . In contrast, in 2019 the old .xls file was retained as a conflict version when I transferred operations to this computer and subsequently updated the information.

As BT Cloud now operates, effectively our files were set in aspic when BT Cloud stopped operating in December last year. We can’t update files without them getting replaced by the files in the cloud in December last year. That, according to the BT Cloud support team, is how BT Cloud is designed to operate.  And there is nothing you can do to change it.

0 Ratings
Message 76 of 304

To be reet--- BT Cloud does not allow you to backup and synchronise files in the same folders.

If you backup files in the BT Cloud folder, you have to duplicate the files in another folder (e.g. BT Cloud (1) ) in order to synchronise them with another computer.

The distinction, as I understand, between backup and sync is that backup files are retained even if a file is deleted in the source folder, whereas if you delete a file in the source folder on any of the linked computers, it will be deleted on all of them and in BT Cloud Web.

What is not yet clear to me is how sync and backup files are handled in BT Cloud Web as I have only tried syncing.

0 Ratings
Message 77 of 304

@henryfmwrote:

To be reet--- BT Cloud does not allow you to backup and synchronise files in the same folders.

If you backup files in the BT Cloud folder, you have to duplicate the files in another folder (e.g. BT Cloud (1) ) in order to synchronise them with another computer.

The distinction, as I understand, between backup and sync is that backup files are retained even if a file is deleted in the source folder, whereas if you delete a file in the source folder on any of the linked computers, it will be deleted on all of them and in BT Cloud Web.

What is not yet clear to me is how sync and backup files are handled in BT Cloud Web as I have only tried syncing.

Henry, just for clarification, only Sync files and folders in C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud will be synchronised with all of your other repositories, including the BT Cloud client. 

You refer to a folder BT Cloud (1), do you have a folder with this name and, if so, is it on all of your PCs?

It is easy to perform a Backup, which I will demonstrate to you later.

JTS1

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 78 of 304

@JTS1   He said he had uninstalled the app.  When you do that, it does not  delete the C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud folder. So a subsequent reinstall will create BT Cloud-1 since BT Cloud exists.

0 Ratings
Message 79 of 304

Henry, just for clarification, only Sync files and folders in C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud will be synchronised with all of your other repositories, including the BT Cloud client. 

You refer to a folder BT Cloud (1), do you have a folder with this name and, if so, is it on all of your PCs?

I was expecting to use the envelope folder C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud for synchronisation but the Sync Preferences page would not allow it, saying that backup was linked to that folder. The default offered was C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud (1), although I actually used C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud-1, copying the subsidiary folders (including Documents, set as my 'My Documents' folder

Screenshot sync settings.jpg

It is actually C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud (1) on the other computer, but both seek to sync to BT Cloud Web (however incorrectly)

0 Ratings
Message 80 of 304

He said he had uninstalled the app. When you do that, it does not delete the C:\Users\usermame\BT Cloud folder. So a subsequent reinstall will create BT Cloud-1 since BT Cloud exists.

I had to copy files from BT Cloud folder to a new folder (BT Cloud-1 in my case) when I installed v 21.1.3 (IIRC) to overcome the error message.  Not sure if I uninstalled BT Cloud app at that stage. I have uninstalled BT Cloud subsequently, and not been told to change from BT Cloud-1

0 Ratings