Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 101 of 304

Re: BT Cloud beta client 21.2.3

@bobreedwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

@bobreedwrote:

There are a couple of 1.5 Gb files. However these have always backed up in the past and have now done so with the old version. I am sorry if I misled you - I am using the backup option - not sync. I meant the backup on cloud is not syncing with my computer properly and missing files when it backs up.

Also can someone tell me how to reply to individual post.  My replies seem to be appearing as new posts

You should be able to find your Backup files under Documents on the Main Page:

JTS1_0-1617377773778.png

The All My Files (next icon down) only contains Sync files. 

JTS1

Thanks for your help, however, I am ONLY using backup and the files are appearing under "All My Files" or at least some are which is why I am assuming some are missing.  The storage amounts don't tally either when I compare the iCloud storage use with the folder on my desktop.  

Update: Have just checked via the documents tab as you suggested - several Gb of files are definitely missing from iCloud despite being in a backed up folder

Where is this Backed up folder located in your PC ?

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 102 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

@bobreedwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

@bobreedwrote:

There are a couple of 1.5 Gb files. However these have always backed up in the past and have now done so with the old version. I am sorry if I misled you - I am using the backup option - not sync. I meant the backup on cloud is not syncing with my computer properly and missing files when it backs up.

Also can someone tell me how to reply to individual post.  My replies seem to be appearing as new posts

JTS1_0-1617377773778.png

JTS1

Thanks for your help, however, I am ONLY using backup and the files are appearing under "All My Files" or at least some are which is why I am assuming some are missing.  The storage amounts don't tally either when I compare the iCloud storage use with the folder on my desktop.  

Update: Have just checked via the documents tab as you suggested - several Gb of files are definitely missing from iCloud despite being in a backed up folder

JTS1

The folders being backed up are (C\User\****\)\ My Documents, My Pictures & My Videos. I don't share anything across devices

0 Ratings
Message 103 of 304

In File Explorer on your PC, move any file out of C:\Users\username\BT Cloud and if it is still in the BT Cloud client, then it is a Backup file, otherwise it is a Sync file. 

Give it a try.

JTS1

I have not at any time since setting up the beta had any files in C:\Users\username\BT Cloud or in BT Cloud (1).  I think that proves I'm using Backup, not Sync.

0 Ratings
Message 104 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

You are only using Sync, if all of your Files and Folders are in "All My Files".   

If you were using Backup, your files would have been in "Documents".

You are wrong.

"All My Files" shows all files in (mostly) the same folder structure as on the local machine.

"Documents" shows a subset of the files with no folder structure.
In particular picture files appear not to be there.

The Synch older is also under "All My Files".

0 Ratings
Message 105 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

@bobreedwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

@bobreedwrote:

JTS1_0-1617377773778.png

JTS1

JTS1

Everyone chooses, or creates which folder they wish to use to source their Backup Files from. 

They do this in their Preferences settings. 

If you choose a Folder that has sub-folders the files in these will also be backed up too.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 106 of 304

@Earthlingwrote:

In File Explorer on your PC, move any file out of C:\Users\username\BT Cloud and if it is still in the BT Cloud client, then it is a Backup file, otherwise it is a Sync file. 

Give it a try.

JTS1

I have not at any time since setting up the beta had any files in C:\Users\username\BT Cloud or in BT Cloud (1).  I think that proves I'm using Backup, not Sync.

This would occur if you chose not to make them available on your PC in your Sync Preferences settings:

5 Sync or swim.jpg

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 107 of 304

@MdeBwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

You are only using Sync, if all of your Files and Folders are in "All My Files".   

You are wrong.

"All My Files" shows all files in (mostly) the same folder structure as on the local machine.

The "Documents" that that I am referring to can be found on the Main BT Cloud Page above "All my Files".  It should not be confused with the Documents folder on your PC.

You are right, the Sync Folders and Files in "All My Files" completely match those in your C:\Users\username\BT Cloud folder on your PC.

Also, the Backup files that you set your Backup Preferences to save and protect for you are listed together with their lists of version changes are recorded and kept in "Documents", as shown below:

JTS1_0-1617401314486.png

Version changes to Sync files are not recorded in this way. 

Also, if you delete Sync Files from any of your repositories it will be removed from all other repositories, but you can only remove these Backup files by deleting them from your "Documents" list, as they will not be deleted if you remove them from any other repository.

I you wish to test if I am right, or wrong, try removing one of you Backed up files from your PC. 

You will see that it will not be deleted from the BT Cloud client.

Please don't take my word for this, simply read Pages 30 and 31 of the BT Cloud User Guide.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 108 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

@MdeBwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

You are wrong.

The "Documents" that that I am referring to can be found on the Main BT Cloud Page above "All my Files".  It should not be confused with the Documents folder on your PC.

You are right, the Sync Folders and Files in "All My Files" completely match those in your C:\Users\username\BT Cloud folder on your PC.

I am also referring to the "Documents" icon on the BT Cloud page and not to Documents on my PC.

You are still wrong on your earlier statements.

0 Ratings
Message 109 of 304

@MdeBwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

@MdeBwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

You are wrong.

I am also referring to the "Documents" icon on the BT Cloud page and not to Documents on my PC.

You are still wrong on your earlier statements.

So you have deleted one of your Backup files from your PC and it was removed from "Documents"? I think not.

That would really mean that the BT Cloud wasn't working, but it is.

I have tested mine in various ways to see if all of my Backup Folder's sub-folders files are also backed up and they are, irrespective of their positions in the structure.
Without exception they all appear in the "Documents" page, as do all of there amended versions too.

I have 20,531 Sync files in various Folders that all appear in my "All My Files".

Where do your amended and save versions of your Backup files appear in your BT Cloud client?

A Screenshot would be appreciated.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 110 of 304

After a week or so of  testing the beta I felt I understood it sufficiently to clean everything up and start again from scratch, with interesting results.  So, with no previous backup files in the cloud; two subfolders of My Documents added in preferences and the three default folders removed; Sync left unchecked; and the backups set fo Continuous upload I set it off.  I was a bit puzzled at some of the files I could see being backed up as I was pretty sure they weren't in any of my nominated folders.  Took a little while to figure out they were actually in my currently unused OneDrive folder in C:\Users\etc - which had not been selected for backup! 😮

There is more.  Contrary to several assertions in this thread that in these circumstances my files would not show in All My Files, in fact that is where they were, in folder order.  Nothing showing at all in the BT Cloud folder.

After all this I am now satisfied that I can safely use the beta as a relable backup tool   I have no present use for Sync so not able to comment on that but hope this will be helpful for users simply wanting a backup capability.

0 Ratings