cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 261 of 304

Re: Still unreliable...

@M-Mwrote:

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. Has anything changed! I was hoping to download a new working version of BT Cloud. What are my chances?

I deleted/uninstalled the old version with a view to trying the "newer" version a few months ago....but to be honest couldn't be *****!

I've now got a desktop of photos that I can't back up, transfer. Yes I can access my old photos on the BT Cloud website.....but what a faff.

Honestly has anyone got BT Cloud to work?! Where do I go if I want to try it? How long does it take to download approx? I don't want to be messing about going into "this file" & "that file" & screenshots of this & that if it doesn't work.

Thanks Margaret

Margaret, yes it does work.
To get it, do the following:

Put this address into your browser
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-started-with-bt-cloud

Then chose - How to get it

Then click this link: Get the latest ‘BT Cloud update for your PC >’ .

This link above will get you there and it will down a copy of the installation file that you require into your File Explorer’s Downloads folder, where you can run it from.

The download is relatively fast, but the length of time it takes to load your previously synced, or backup may take may hours/days, depending on the number and size of the files you have.

You would be wise to use the setup wizard.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 262 of 304

Nope, I have tried multiple times with this download and I can't get it to work, uninstall, install etc.  Every time I get to same stage and the 'one time initialisation'  This runs and runs.  I have actually let it run for days to see if it would resolve and it does not.  I don't know what it is doing, but working, I suspect not.

Am at the stage now where am considering binning the whole thing.  I have tried it on another laptop and get exactly the same problem.  It is not wifi / broadband related, pretty sure of that.  My kids can download 150gb game for xbox pretty darn quick.

Have posted separately in another thread but I don't see a clear cut solution to this problem.  Hoping someone from BT can help me out as they are pretty close to me looking for alternatives.

0 Ratings
Message 263 of 304

Hi @alexburt1 if you need a solution now I would go elsewhere. BT support are telling me that there will be a new version in "Q3 or Q4" i.e. by New Year. They are saying it'll be better, not that it's guaranteed to work fully! 

I've been trying to get it to work for months with no joy. 

0 Ratings
Message 264 of 304

The one thing around providing a backup service is reliability.  Am really concerned now as to what is backed up and what is not.  Been scouring online and am not convinced it is only last month that it has not been working, seems to be a fair few missing files.

I work in software development so have checked and done all the things you could be expected to do, so imagine others less knowledgeable must be struggling (or not aware it is not working).  Replicated the issue easily on another laptop.  If there are serious flaws in the software they should be pro-actively telling people to look for alternatives. 

0 Ratings
Message 265 of 304

I have lots of files missing, and have done for months. BT have never communicated about the issues except 1:1 if you make a complaint, which I have. It is really poor.
0 Ratings
Message 266 of 304

@alexburt1wrote:

Nope, I have tried multiple times with this download and I can't get it to work, uninstall, install etc.  Every time I get to same stage and the 'one time initialisation'  This runs and runs.  I have actually let it run for days to see if it would resolve and it does not.  I don't know what it is doing, but working, I suspect not.

Am at the stage now where am considering binning the whole thing.  I have tried it on another laptop and get exactly the same problem.  It is not wifi / broadband related, pretty sure of that.  My kids can download 150gb game for xbox pretty darn quick.

Have posted separately in another thread but I don't see a clear cut solution to this problem.  Hoping someone from BT can help me out as they are pretty close to me looking for alternatives.

Are you trying to install Version 21.4.10, if so where are you getting the installation BT Cloud App from ?

Most users have had a previous version updated automatically by BT.

I have found three different paths to the version 21.4.10 installation file and I have still to establish if any of these work.

How far through the installation can you get?  For example, does it get beyond the black cloud icon on the systray and if so, does it open the complete sysmenu?

Are all, or only some, of the installation folders installing and are all of their sub folders available, for example BTCloud-Data on my laptop has 89 files in 14 folders?

The particular folders that I mean are:
C:\Users\username\BT Cloud
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BT 
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BTCloud
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BTCloud-Data

What do your Logs say is happening?

For example, is it looping, trying to find an absolute URL (or something else), saying it doesn't work with a relative UR, or is it reporting a different error?

Are you using more than one repository and does that install correctly?

JTS1

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 267 of 304

All good advice mate, tried several downloads, and the earlier Beta version.  If I uninstall and install the installation is successful but get stuck in the one time meta data initialisation... if I try and update, looks like it fails install.. (likely as in one time data initialisation).  I just don't think it works unless there is some stupid windows setting....

0 Ratings
Message 268 of 304

Have you tried my suggestion given in message 257,  ‎09-07-2021 14h10? This does give v24.4.10 and seems to work OK in providing repositories for both my devices. 

I've yet to try Geoff Smith's suggestion for sharing files across the devices as I had other matters to address, but it does seem a shame that this has to be done (assuming it works the way I want).

0 Ratings
Message 269 of 304

@Old_Deuteronomywrote:

Have you tried my suggestion given in message 257,  ‎09-07-2021 14h10? This does give v24.4.10 and seems to work OK in providing repositories for both my devices. 

I've yet to try Geoff Smith's suggestion for sharing files across the devices as I had other matters to address, but it does seem a shame that this has to be done (assuming it works the way I want).

I have referred a couple of Forum members to your Message 257, because it makes a lot of sense, however, no one appears to know where to get the correct BT Cloud App, Version  21.4.10. 

In My BT there are three paths to acquire this App, but I'm not sure if they are all the same.  The last one that I followed several times delivered those listed in my laptops Download folder, shown below.  From the size of these, 10.630 KB, can you tell me if it is the correct one, or not.

JTS1_0-1628269940103.png

However, in BT's reply to you, they make an assumption that the Users can access their Preferences to set them, but in at least two cases, they cannot, as the installation did not load many of the necessary BTCloud-Data files and the BT Cloud sync folder, on to their laptops.  This is why I'm questioning the source of the BT Cloud App.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 270 of 304

The installer for 21.4.10 can be found here:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/AB2gPcWVUW