cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 281 of 304

Re: Still unreliable...

>> rwithey, forgive me for breaking into this conversation, but I note that your sysmenu screenshot shows that it is not in a completed state, in that the 'Open BT Cloud sync' folder icon is missing.  Also, syncing is still ongoing.

I'm not using sync, only backup.

It always says it's syncing. Always has. Have wiped and rebuilt the metadata multiple times to try and reset stuff, always the same.

Have reduced the backup frequency from on demand to daily to stop BT Cloud corrupting its own metadata.

Whichever way you try and spin it BT Cloud is severely lacking.

0 Ratings
Message 282 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

rwithey, forgive me for breaking into this conversation, but I note that your sysmenu screenshot shows that it is not in a completed state, in that the 'Open BT Cloud sync' folder icon is missing.  Also, syncing is still ongoing.

JTS1

To be completely clear, here are some pictures.  I don't have the folder icon because I don't have BT Cloud sync enabled in the general case (I enabled it here to take screenshots to illustrate its effect).

SyncOption.png

So your comment about the folder icon is completely irrelevant.  The fact that it says "Pause syncing" is normal too.  It always says that.

0 Ratings
Message 283 of 304

@rwitheywrote:

>> rwithey, forgive me for breaking into this conversation, but I note that your sysmenu screenshot shows that it is not in a completed state, in that the 'Open BT Cloud sync' folder icon is missing.  Also, syncing is still ongoing.

I'm not using sync, only backup.

It always says it's syncing. Always has. Have wiped and rebuilt the metadata multiple times to try and reset stuff, always the same.

Have reduced the backup frequency from on demand to daily to stop BT Cloud corrupting its own metadata.

Whichever way you try and spin it BT Cloud is severely lacking.

Sync has to be enable to allow backup to work, as they cannot be uploaded, or downloaded without the use of sync, as shown in the sysmenu. 

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 284 of 304

Utter rubbish.  What you are basically saying is the the sync option is an option to enable the software to do anything useful at all.  If that were the case why would it even be there, and not be enabled at all times...!

Backup and sync are two different things.

Message 285 of 304

@mumfiewrote:

Since BT Cloud automatically updated itself to 21.4.10  3 days ago BT Cloud backup is no longer working. The icon in taskbar shows BT Cloud - syncing but logs no longer being updated since the auto-update. Have tried restart etc.

Since the update event log shows  several errors but not sure if related

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

With the introduction of Version 21.4.10, there is a new feature that requires the user to enable Diagnostic Logs. 

Click on the 3 dots in  the Sysmenu and select 'About'. 

As well as the version being displayed, the ‘About’ button also allows you to turn on Diagnostic Logs.  There is also a ‘Save’ button, connected with this feature, that saves all of your Logs to the PC’s Desktop screen as a zip file, every time you press it. 

This is to ensure that it is totally up to date information, but the down side is that, if you don’t delete them they consume the space on your hard drive. 

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 286 of 304

Perhaps this will help educate you as to the differences, from https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-started-with-bt-cloud :

BackupSync.png

0 Ratings
Message 287 of 304

@rwitheywrote:

@JTS1wrote:

rwithey, forgive me for breaking into this conversation, but I note that your sysmenu screenshot shows that it is not in a completed state, in that the 'Open BT Cloud sync' folder icon is missing.  Also, syncing is still ongoing.

JTS1

To be completely clear, here are some pictures.  I don't have the folder icon because I don't have BT Cloud sync enabled in the general case (I enabled it here to take screenshots to illustrate its effect).

SyncOption.png

So your comment about the folder icon is completely irrelevant.  The fact that it says "Pause syncing" is normal too.  It always says that.

No this folders does not appear under other circumstances too.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 288 of 304

@rwitheywrote:

Perhaps this will help educate you as to the differences, from https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-started-with-bt-cloud :

BackupSync.png

This is absolutely true, so to upload and sync any backup file with the BT Cloud, sync must be enabled.  If you delete a Backup file and it is sent to the Waste Basket, sync has to be enabled, etc.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 289 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

No this folders does not appear under other circumstances too.

JTS1

Such as?

0 Ratings
Message 290 of 304

@JTS1wrote:

@rwitheywrote:

BackupSync.png

This is absolutely true, so to upload and sync any backup file with the BT Cloud, sync must be enabled.  If you delete a Backup file and it is sent to the Waste Basket, sync has to be enabled, etc.

JTS1

This is absolutely not how it used to work.

Backup was a one way single machine -> cloud copy, with on demand copy back.  This is why the backup folders in the cloud are partition by machine name.  Here the web interface shows the cloud sync folder separate to the two separate machines I have backed up:

SyncAndBackup.png

Sync was a nominated folder with an automatic copy from machine to machine, via the cloud, used for automatic sharing of content between devices.  This is different from backup, and is why it is presented as a separate feature.

Since BT Cloud appears to no longer offer a viable backup solution, I'm out.  Good riddance...!

Uninstall2.png

0 Ratings