Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oliver341
Expert
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud charges

In the BT Cloud terms and conditions it states:

If you wish to take the free service you must sign in to that service within 90 days of registration. If you fail to do this or you allow more than 90 days to elapse after any occasion on which you have signed-in, your agreement will end automatically and any data that you stored will be deleted or you may be charged a fee to cover any data storage and administrative costs. This does not apply to BT Cloud customers paying for additional storage.

Does that mean someone not logging into their BT Cloud for 90 days might face a bill?

Oliver.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud charges

That's how it reads to me. If you don't want to use it any more make sure you have deleted anything that was stored in it then there will be no data to store so should mean no fee.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 3 of 6

The bit which says "any data that you stored will be deleted or you may be charged a fee to cover any data storage and administrative costs" suggests BT choose themselves whether they delete your data or charge a fee to the customer.

I wonder what criteria they use to choose whether to delete data or charge a fee.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I don't know the answer to that but I suppose it is to give them options to reclaim apparently unused storage space. The easy way is either not to sign up for it or if you do then log in at least once every 90 days. If you aren't logging in at least once during 90 days you should be asking yourself if you really need it.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@gg30340 wrote:

I don't know the answer to that but I suppose it is to give them options to reclaim apparently unused storage space.

Yeah, deleting the data and reclaiming the unused space is fair enough. It's the threat of a fee which is not so good.

I wonder how much this administration fee might be.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

To be honest I think it is a poor system anyway. Dropbox, Microsoft Skydrive and Google drive are in my opinion better and easier to use and having said that I wouldn't trust anything that I wasn't prepared to loose to any cloud storage. 

You are far better backing up to a harddrive and if you need files to be available anywhere then load them onto an encrypted pendrive and carry it with you. 

0 Ratings