Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ferncot
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Cloud constant high CPU usage and problems

Go to solution

I am using an iMac and have my photo library backed up to BT Cloud. When the system was updated BT attempted to put my extensive photo library onto my iPad and iPhone totally swamping them. I had to remove the app from them both and delete all my photos to sort out the mess. So I now have to manually copy the photos taken on my phone to my iMac where they are backedup. However, I can't leave the BT Cloud app active on my iMac as it is takes over the CPU. Even when left for days, it is still pulling at 95 - 100+% meaning everything else grinds to a halt. This cannot be operating right, but I cannot see how to correct it, the settings seem non-existent.

I would welcome any advice.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Pete_30
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Cloud constant high CPU usage and problems

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem and I was too quick to point blame on an ioS update to Sierra on my MAC.

The BT cloud was jumping from 50% to 100% CPU useage, slowing everything right down whilst doing absolutely nothing as all my files had been previously synch'd and backed up. There has to be an issue with the BT Cloud process and I have now been forced into turning the BT Cloud App off. I also use the Microsoft OneDrive for cloud storage and it works perfectly and does not consume ANY CPU - sort this out please BT !!

0 Ratings
MikeL
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I use BT Cloud to backup my PC. It's about 80Gb in total. The back up works fine and all files have gone upto the cloud. However if I fire up the dashboard and then click on the backup tab this seems to fire Windows Defender and for the next 5 minutes the CPU and disk usage is very high. It's as though Windows Defender is scanning all the directories I have in my backup list. This is a significant number of files. Eventua;;y things settle down and the Backup tab is displayed. I guess the desktop is enumerating the list of files but I'm not sure why Windows Defender has to scan them!

Regards Mike
0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @MikeL,

I found exactly the same thing on my Windows PC (Mac has always been fine). I swapped out Windows Defender for BT Virus Protect, and that seems to play much better (no longer have any noticible CPU usage when I click on 'Backup' or add a new Backup folder). I realise BT Virus Protect isn't well regarded by lots of people - it seems to work well for me, but you may want to experiment with a different antivirus software?

Not sure if BT or Microsoft should get the blame for what currently happens with Windows Defender - If you ever do figure out what's actually causing this then I'd love to know.

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings
MikeL
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @JoeeeeeeR,

I have installed BT Netprotect and disabled Windows Defender. This seems to have resolved the problem.

Like you I'm not sure if it's a BTCloud or Windows Defender problem.

Pre Windows 10 I had used the BT AV without any issues but decided to stick with Windows Defender after the upgrade.

Regards Mike
0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @MikeL,

Great - glad it worked for you too.

BT Mods- I think you should warn people that using BT Cloud with Windows Defender on Windows 10 may cause issues. I suspect there's lots of people who haven't investigated the cause of high CPU usage, and assume that it's BT Cloud causing the issue.

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings
Socrates
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I have the same problem, using a Mac with BT Cloud constantly using nearly all the CPU. The alleged "solution" doesn't answer this at all, since it just deals with a particular Windows issue - nothing to do with Macs.

So, is there a solutions or do we just conclude that BT Cloud is so badly programmed as to be pratically unusable?

0 Ratings
ferncot
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Fully agree Socrates.. I originated the thread as a Mac problem, but it has been hijacked by the windows crew and offers an irrelevant solution as far as I am concerned.

I've also concluded that it is poor programing and despite the attractive amount of space I'm being given, I cannot currently use it. It remains switched off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I've had the same problem on Windows 10.  I find the simplest work-around is to use Task Manager to select BT Cloud and End Task.  I then activate BT Cloud by clicking on the desktop icon when I know I'm not going to be using my PC for a while, eg when I'm off to watch TV in the evening, or some other routine activity around the house away from the PC.  This means it performs a backup only once a day rather than in real time, but at least for the rest of the time my PC behaves normally.

0 Ratings