cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidO1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud data storage

Hi, I have  been using btcloud for about 3 years now. I only use the sync folder option and until about 6 months ago the size of the folder on the desktop was only slightly smaller than the online folder. Over the past 6 months however I have noticed that the size of the online folder has been accelerating, it is now over 51Gb of which 2.5Gb is in the trash folder, but my desktop is only around 11Gb.

I have been online but cannot find any explanation for this or anything in the settings that may have caused this. Does anyone know what is going on please because I have drawn a blank.

I have also noticed that with successive releases the level on control available to me is diminishing, or am I missing something?

Many thanks, David.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
RKM
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud data storage

David,

I have had a similar experience, although over a shorter time.

Original backup to cloud was about 430GB of the 500GB allocation and this was steady for a few months, then recently started to increase and has now "topped out" with, apparently, only  a couple of GB being added since the original backup.

Currently the cloud "tooltip" shows, 492.4GB used, the desktop app shows all 500GB used with recent files failing to backup, but logging into the cloud website, the All My Files option shows a total of only 437.1GB in 3 top level folders - a little more than it started with and in line with what I would expect.

The cloud isn't even self consistent in its usage estimates but, like you, I can't find anything to explain the recent rise in usage by two of the indicators.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Not sure whether this is relevant and apologies it it is not but David you referred to the All My Files option with 3 top level folders.

This implies that you this is not just the Sync folder but also other folders on say your PC that you have included for backup. When backing up from the Sync folder just one file is kept in storage. When backing up files from other folders though BT cloud also stores past versions of files, e.g. every time a file changes it stores the new file and keeps the old file as a previous version. So for instance if you store say a 10mb file and change it say 10 times, this will result in 100mb of storage being used e.g. every version sill be store ad infinitem. This does not happen to files in the 'Sync' folder e.g. version backups are not used here.

You can see old versions by clicking on a file and selecting versions from the More button on the cloud website. As a warning BT cloud will literally store hundreds of old versions as I found to my cost some time ago when a 20mb database file that I had ended up taking up 8GB of storage due to versions. Took me ages to delete hundreds of old versions that I did not need.

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks BillCubbon,

150 versions of a 450MB file deleted and 68GB freed up instantly.  A couple of others, smaller but totalling up, and 100GB was freed up.

The numbers reported by various interfaces to BTCloud still aren't consistent, which probably means there are other duplicates, but at least I can figure out why now.  Just have to keep on top of everything being backed up on a regular basis.  😞

Now, wouldn't it be sensible to limit the number of versions backed up?

And I am left wondering why this only started to happen in the past month or so, even though that large file gets changed several times a day? 

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi David.

Glad that helped. The versions backup has been happening for a long time now so don't know why you only started getting the problem in the last month. I first came across this last year and was helped out by someone else on these forums who explained the version backup.

I agree that it would be great to be able to limit the backup numbers. As it is I do think having access to old versions can be useful, but never ending ones seems a bit overkill. Means, as I guess you will also do now, having to carry out a manual clean up of old versions from time to time.

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks again BillCubbon.

From the dates on the backed up file versions the increasing frequency of backup seems to have been an issue since the last update in mid-January.

That also introduced an over-ride of the computer power settings discussed in the thread titled "BT Cloud upgrade(?), what have you done?".  The computer used to go to sleep if unused for an hour.  Since the "upgrade" happened, it only goes to sleep if manually put to sleep, despite the power settings indicating it should still do this automatically.

I suspect that means that the files in question get updated more frequently than they used to, before the "upgrade", and hence more backup versions are made, consequently using up the available space more frequently.

Overall, still a bug-ridden package that is barely worth what BT charge for it.  😉

0 Ratings