cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pungbricks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Cloud file size limit

Having looked at other posts in the forum re maximum file size within a BT Cloud backup I thought people might be interested in this work-around.  I have been using AOMEI Backupper to create backups of my data on a USB drive attached to my PC.  The backup software  as default writes a single archive file to a folder on the USB drive, and incrementally adds further files to the folder on a scheduled basis.  This is fine except I now want to sync these files to BT Cloud so that I have an offsite secure backup.  But the initial backup file is some 250GB in size which fails to sync due to its size being greater than 10GB.  AOMEI Backupper (registered version) provides a facility to split the output file into smaller (user configurable) files.  So I have selected this option, setting the maximum size to 10GB.  This means that -on a full backup- instead of getting a single file of 250GB, I get instead an archive set of 25 files, each  of 10GB, all of which are acceptable to BT Cloud. Further incremental backup files will also be split if necessary, meaning I can always restore latest individual data files from within the archive set. Approximate cost of AOME Backupper is £45.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
cusance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Cloud file size limit

it really should not be necessary. BTCloud simply isnt fit for purpose. it can not be relied on. Most of my 4K video files are over 10G. I cant rely on this facility as a backup feature. The limit is a joke in these high resolution times. I called the helpdesk. an Indian gentleman insisted there was no such limit. I suggested he try it himself. He said someone from the Cloud team would call me to 'resolve this'. of course they never did.
BT please take note, a 10G limit is a complete joke and also totally blows out of the water your claim this facility can be used as a backup tool. It cant. its limit makes it totally unreliable.
0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 24

@cusance

So any single file that you're backing up to bt cloud has to be no file size higher than 10GB, am I correct in assuming this?

Does it mention this in their terms and conditions for the BT CLOUD app?
0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

I don't see the point of this 10GB file limitation as there's already a limit of free storage of 1000GB 

0 Ratings
cusance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

does it mention this in terms and conditions? dont think so. Even if it does, so what? They advertise this as a means to backup your data.

1000G storage. Wow. Useless if you cant set it up to backup regularly automatically. Thats what it is designed to do, and cant.

10G per file was maybe a reasonable thing to do 10 years ago. Useless. And as I said, their helpdesk doesnt even know about it so they are putting those guys in India in an impossible position. Making them look stupid.

Posters are right. there is a limit of 1000G so let me backup what the hell I want untill I reach that limit. A 'not fit for purpose' system.

0 Ratings
cusance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

their is no point. They have probably outsourced this to someone else. Probably not even a BT system. As usual with BT, fancy folders, lots of mail through the letterbox, lots of TV advertising, useless systems. At least this one. And THAT is a great shame because I have to say that their Infinity 2 with the repeating round hubs works great. Why does BT always then drop the ball at the last minute?

By the way, expect complete silence from BT on this.

0 Ratings
cusance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Terms And Conditions.

As I indicated elsewhere, its fairly unimportant what it says in the terms and conditions. Basically, like all these type of facilities the T&C say they can do what the hell they like.

So it doesnt matter. The facility simply isnt for for purpose. Thats what matters. so we go elsewhere:  Here an extract:

Changes we may make

19. How we can change a service, a service feature or the charges and the terms and conditions of the agreement

a. We may need to upgrade or make improvements to the service, or change or withdraw the service, a service feature or the charges for the reasons set out in clauses 20, 21, 22 and 23.

b. If we increase the charges, or we change the service, a service feature or the terms and conditions of the agreement in a way that significantly disadvantages you, we'll do the following.

i. We'll tell you at least 30 days before the change, unless we can't reasonably do that (for example, if the change is for legal or regulatory reasons). In this case we'll give you as much notice as possible.

ii. We'll give you the chance to give us 30 days' notice to end that service without having to pay any extra charges or a fee for leaving early. The 30 days starts on the date of the notice we send you to tell you about the change.

c. We'll either write to you about any other changes or advertise the change another way, such as on our website.

20. Changes to a service, a service feature, equipment and the terms and conditions of the agreement

a. We may change the service or a service feature to do the following.

i. Change, improve, update or add to the service you receive (for example, if we increase the amount of storage you get).

ii. Introduce new service features (for example, if we introduce new security features).

iii. Change the way we structure our prices, the service or service features (for example, if we change the name of the service, its features or its description).

iv. Add to or change the way we provide the service (for example, if we introduce new ways to use the service).

v. Reflect changes to or developments in technology (for example, if we develop or introduce new systems which give you a better service).

vi. Withdraw, replace or remove all or part of the service or a service feature.

vii. Make minor changes to technical specifications.

viii. Update, upgrade, improve or alter the service or a service feature (for example, to fix bugs or faults, or to tackle security issues).

ix. Reorganise the way we manage or run our business.

x. Reflect a change to any law, code of practice, regulation, guidance or responsibility that applies to us.

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 24

What exactly isn't working for you?
0 Ratings
cusance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

you ask after all this discussion? I cant copy files bigger than 10G.

Isnt that what this thread is about?

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 24

I just wanted to know if there was anything else that perhaps is causing you problems.
When you mention 10G, I take it you're referring to 10 GB?
0 Ratings