cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT Cloud fhoster32.exe using all my spare CPU

As you know from other threads, there are lots of issues with BT Cloud, including this one.

I'm not quite sure why it wasn't put through a proper product test before launch.

They are gradually fixing things; for example they have considerably improved the slow upload of lots of small files.

However, with such a huge list of serious problems it might take quite a time; especially if they decide to do some testing before roll-out this time.  Meanwhile, I suggest that nobody uses BT Cloud for serious backup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rockmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

I'm new to BT Cloud and am experiencing the same problem:  an entire core lost to fshoster32.exe all the time.

I called BT today to complain and was told that it must be an issue with my PC and I "should get it checked".  I stressed that the issue was theirs and the call centre person went away for a while before stating that they had many thousands of successful installations and had not had similar issues reported.  Finally, I insisted they escalate so they've given me a call reference and I'll chase up in a few days.  I don't hold much hope.

The one positive was that the BT Cloud support phone number I used - 0800 5003114 - was answered immediately.

It would be good if others experiencing this problem started reporting it via 0800 5003114 so that BT begin to recognise that it's not an isolated incident.

0 Ratings
sirisaac
Message 13 of 26

On a closely related issue I found that fhoster32.exe is effectively incompatible with with Outlook in that it takes so long to back up any changes to pst files that Outlook opens another (conflict) file. fhoster32.exe then grabs that one and by the end of the day there are many copies and Outlook still complains it can't access the files to display them.

I found the only answer was to move the pst files to another folder that was not included in the backup. This means stopping fhoster32.exe so you can rename or remove the original folder to persuade Outlook to ask you to browse for the new location.

0 Ratings
JackJones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Re: BT Cloud - fshoster32.exe process hogging cpu constantly!!

I finally resolved the fhosterexe cpu problem - I just turned off BT Cloud.  It is a completely useless system IMO, with no apparent urgency on the part of BT to investigate or resolve customer issues with the service.

I feel really disappointed to not only have lost BT Digital Vault (which I was happy to have paid £6.50 a month for) but also to have been conned (and we WERE conned) into signing up for a further contract extension because BT Cloud was free.

As experienced people will tell you - if something costs you nothing, it's because that is what it's worth.

0 Ratings
yp01864
Message 15 of 26

Hi all, I've just found this discussion as I am suffering similar problem with fshoster.exe. I use the new BT Cloud but I hadn't realised that it might be the cause. In fact I'm still not entirely convinced as it seemed to work ok (ie without this problem) up til now on my main PC and is not at all affecting my smaller PC (the one I'm having to use here).
It is a major problem for me and totally consumes the CPU - I can't do anything on the machine.
I have tried turning off BT Cloud Auto Backup but it only appears possible to to pause it. And when you switch the PC on next time it reverts to being active.
Jack Jones, When you say you turned off BT Cloud can you explain exactly what you did.
Regards
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 16 of 26

BT Cloud is a very poorly coded program.

The only way I know to stop it when running is to use a program like task manager or process hacker to kill the processes.  You will see three processes owned by f-secure.

The only way to prevent it starting on startup is to use a separate program that handles startup programs, such as

msconfig.

0 Ratings
MrIncredible_UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

FWIW, I have found that once the PC has fully sync'd with the cloud, the FSHoster32 behaves like any other process with minimal CPU usage with the occasional blip of about 2%.  However, I moved a load of files from one folder to another and FShoster32 immediately went into overdrive with 25% CPU usage and it took a few hours to sync.  Although there were a few files to sync, it took far oo long to sync.  The same files on Dropbox sync'd within 30 minutes.  I'd guess the program is poorly executing the FTP or whatever link to the cloud.  Looks like a bottleneck to me.

0 Ratings
yp01864
Message 18 of 26

Just to update you on my progress...

A) I paused the backup. This was no good because it didn't stop fshoster and, in any case it automatically switched back on again when the PC was restarted.

B) I then removed all the files selected for backup from this PC. What I didn't expect was it then started to delete all the same files from the cloud. It also didn't seem to make any difference to fshoster consuming 100% of my CPU.

C) Drastic action now called for as can't get on with my business whilst can't get any useful access to my CPU. So decided to rethink my back up processes (BT Cloud was first line of defence with off-site immediate copies of new and updated file) and decided to ditch it.

D) Easier said than done. As soon as PC switched on fshoster jumped in and prevented doing anything else such as removing software. Then brilliant idea - disconnected laptop from the broadband connection, started it, fshoster didn't start, removed BT Cloud from the machine.

Machine now working reasonably well (it's an old machine with small and often overworked CPU anyway).

Any suggestions for a first line backup system to give continual backup between monthly full backups?

0 Ratings
yp01864
Message 19 of 26

One other thing I meant to add...
I'm still not sure why it had this disastrous effect on my main PC and only after nearly a couple of months of trouble free usage.
And
Why my other PC, also using BT Cloud, is still running ok with it.
Any suggestions?
0 Ratings
pittnuma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

Would just like to add my concern over this app aswell, I would like to use the storage, but find the CPU hit is too much and have so far uninstalled..

Using Windows 8.1

Makes you wonder about cloud PC's, if companies can't get this right, how on earth do they expect you to have everything on/in the cloud, including the PC itself.

Follow me on Twitter @pittnuma_gaming or
http://www.facebook.com/PittnumaGaming

PC:
Coolermaster Storm2 case with Bitfenix fans (1 x 120mm + 5 x 90mm) on a Recon controller
Bequiet 530W PSU
Asrock Z87 Extreme4
I5-4670K OC'd 4.4 or 4.6Ghz depending on what I'm doing (thinking of going i7).
Noctua DH-14 fan
Vengeance Low Profile 8GB 1600Mhz Ram (Soon to be 16GB)
ATI 7950 3GB OC (Soon to be XFire)
Various HDD's and Hybrid HDD/SSD's
24" Benq Monitor @ 60Mhz
Asus Xonar DX sound card
ATH-AD700 Headphones with a Blue Yeti mic or Logitech G930 USB headset n mouse, depending on if I use TS.
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Deathadder 2013 mouse with Razer Sphex mouse
X52 flight system and Xbox controller

Capture:
Avermedia Live Gamer Portable HD recording video via HDMI and sound via line in

0 Ratings