Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
normangarland
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud general help

Go to solution

I've gone throught the BT Cloud initial setup and clearly the setup screens see my hard disk (desktop PC, Windows 7) and invites me to sync such things as: 'documents, pictures, music,...'. You can just tick a box and continue but you can also specify your own folders. I chose some folders a bit lower down the food chain and not the ones suggested. These were, nevertheless, major folders for documents and pictures occupying about a half of my total storage capacity of 50Gb. It involved uploading (is that the correct word) 1000's of files and I left the machine on all night since it was taking so long (understandably so). I find now that it has only used 3% of my storage space so most files are missing. Also, I can see the files if did upload on the main Cloud screen, but there's no sign of how these files are ordered within their original folders and many subfolders. They appear to be displayed at random. They are of no use to me unless Cloud structures all the files identically to how they are held on my hard disk.

Also, how does one delete all these files in one go and start again, and where do you start from? Do you download the software again and do another setup or work from within the main Cloud screen?

I have an external 2 Tb drive and it was simple to copy all my chosed files over and it retained the folder file structure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud general help

Go to solution

It does retain the folder structure; however the default view does not show them with that structure.

On the left of the screen click on the name you gave your device, under Devices.

That then leads to a fairly standard folder view, with (for a windows device) the disk letter at the top.

No folder tree view, but you do get a breadcrumb trail to help your navigation.

Full upload could take much more than just overnight, even if you have a full almost 20Mbps  upload connection.

I thought they had fixed the upload speed issue, but checking now I am just getting a BT Cloud upload of 1 to 2 Mbps or even less on a line capable of 18Mbps upload (to real sites, not just in theory).

0 Ratings
normangarland
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Excellent. Thank you. From your response I can see that all docs have been transferred and can now see the file structure just as you indicated. Also, not having switched off the computer since last night, I can see that it is still uploading most of the pictures. My normal speed is only about 2Mb/sec due, I think, to a considerable distance to the exchange. Your prediction about the huge time taken is coming true. Thanks again. I can't see the file structure of the pictures yet, but hope that will become visible once all the pictures have been transferred. I note that this process has not effected what's in Cloud Sync, namely nothing at the moment, so presumably I have to specify sync folders seperately by using the icon?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Yes. The sync and backup parts are pretty much separate, rolled into one product. The backup saves stuff from a computer to the cloud; you can back up several computers/devices and each will have its independent space. The sync keeps the associated area in sync between all registered devices and the cloud.

In either case, beware of deletions, especially folder deletions. Deletions on the machine are replicated as deletions in the cloud. They are held in the cloud Trash area, but difficult to recover in bulk or to correlate with the original folder structure.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
TonyBird
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I have nothing in my Sync portion? but when my wife installed Bt Cloud on to her Android tablet she was able to delete files from her tablet which also deleted the same file from my Cloud, as far as I am concerned , I never selected that option, is their an option to control what gets deleted on both devices?, I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.

TonyBird

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
davemudie
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Re: BT Cloud general help delete all bt cloud folders and files

Go to solution

It is probobly me , i have doc music and photos,which seemed to appear unannounced. Is there any way I can delete them all from cloud in one go. Doing them one at a time will take forever

0 Ratings