cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud has reached maximum number of files

Hi all

My BT Cloud application announced that "BT Cloud has reached the maximum number of files that can be contained in a single top-level folder. Please move the excessive files to a new top-level folder and resume the application."

What on earth does that mean? I use it mainly for photos and manage my photos on Adobe Photoshop. I do not want top disturb the storage locations used by Photoshop.

I have tons of storage available on BT Cloud.

Thoughts wil be welcome.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud has reached maximum number of files

It's really quite exlpanatory. The folder you you store everything in has reached it's limit. Most cloud services have a limit on the number of files in any folder, it screws up the search facility amongst many other options.

Shouldn't cause a major problem with Photoshop (18 years as a user).

Choice is yours, create another folder in the cloud or accept you can't put any more files in the one you have. I have 4 different cloud accounts, all put folder limits on the number of files, it's never been a problem for me. I put different projects in different folders.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I also have the same issue with a message saying "BT Cloud has reached the maximum number of files that can be contained in a single top level folder".   I'm not mnually uploading files to BT Cloud.  It is set to backup my hard drive automatically.

When it suggests that I move the excessive files to a new top level folder, is it saying that I have to move files into different folders on my PC?  

I don't know what to do now.   😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Having spoken to BT tech support, they referred it to a level two support person based in India.  He informed me that the error message related to Outlook PST files consuming the total space because BT Cloud backs up multiple versions of the same file. He also said the same thing applies to Quickbook accounting software files. I have both in my backup.

He told me that BT Cloud doesn't support backing up Outlook PST files and Quickbooks so they needed to be removed from the backup meaning I would have to use a different method for backing them up.  he then shared a session with my PC and moved all my document files into another folder on my PC which excluded both of these folders.  The backup was stopped and the data deleted, then restarted the backup excluding Outlook and Quickbooks.

The result proved nothing.  Even excluding the two folders it still displays the same error message saying that "BT Cloud has reached the maximum number of files that can be contained in a top level folder".

I must say I'm disappointed that even a second level technical support person has misunderstood what this error means.  So I'm no further forward and I still don't understand what to do apart from uninstalling and looking for an alternative backup method.  😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

How frustrating that BT dont have an official answer yet!

I also have the same message. 

My BT Cloud application announced that "BT Cloud has reached the maximum number of files that can be contained in a single top-level folder. Please move the excessive files to a new top-level folder and resume the application.

I am backing up photos from a cloud service I no longer wish to subscribe to. I have sufficient storage for the size of the files but for some reason the cloud isnt happy with the number of files. 

BT please clarify the exact (maximum) number of files that can be contained in a single top-level folder AND clarify the exact location of the top level folder, is it on my PC or in the BT Cloud Website?

If it is on my PC they are in the Default 'Pictures' folder so how do I create a new TOP Level folder on my PC?

If it is on the BT Cloud website, the Photos are being backed up into the 'Photos' area so how do I create a new TOP Level folder in the BT Cloud website?

Or do you mean a different location altogether if so what and where?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Unfortunately the problem remains unresolved. I have asked technical support several times since April in the hope that a different person might be able to help.  Sadly in this case I don't think they know how to resolve the problem.  As a consequence I have abandoned using BT Cloud for my backup and selected another cloud backup service.

0 Ratings