cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Cloud ridiculously slow after first 4Gb of 80Gb upload.

Mac and BT cloud software all up to date.

Multiple speed tests all showing Infinity 1 throughout as about 37mb down and just below 8Mb upload.

Cloud starting well, uploading first 3Gb very quickly. I then left it overnight and it had slowed to a crawl, it having only uploaded 1 more Gb overnight.

Hardly using network at all now. I rebooted just before 8am, and so far, it's only on 7% having uploaded only 738Mb in the last 3 hours. Network monitor showing almost no usage. Speedtest showing upload test as normal. Nothing else is hogging bandwidth, and I've checked for other processes in network monitor.

In the time it's taken me to login to the forum and write this post, it has uploaded only 1Mb. This is going to take literally weeks.

And I'd like to stress again, I can run a speedtest at the same time and get 7 or 8 Mb upload speed.

Not satisfactory - how do I give it a virtual kick up the backside, and why did it slow so much after such a good start?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Cloud ridiculously slow after first 4Gb of 80Gb upload.

@lardconcepts wrote:

Mac and BT cloud software all up to date.

Multiple speed tests all showing Infinity 1 throughout as about 37mb down and just below 8Mb upload.

Cloud starting well, uploading first 3Gb very quickly. I then left it overnight and it had slowed to a crawl, it having only uploaded 1 more Gb overnight.

Hardly using network at all now. I rebooted just before 8am, and so far, it's only on 7% having uploaded only 738Mb in the last 3 hours. Network monitor showing almost no usage. Speedtest showing upload test as normal. Nothing else is hogging bandwidth, and I've checked for other processes in network monitor.

In the time it's taken me to login to the forum and write this post, it has uploaded only 1Mb. This is going to take literally weeks.

And I'd like to stress again, I can run a speedtest at the same time and get 7 or 8 Mb upload speed.

Not satisfactory - how do I give it a virtual kick up the backside, and why did it slow so much after such a good start?

I don't use Mac pcs.

Is there an indication of memory usage, page file memory, disk usage, cpu usage, etc in your diagnostics?

You may have given a clue into what is going on when you said that you rebooted, as this may have kick started the upload to resume, after clearing the memory in the Mac.

On your current upload estimate of 738 MB in 3 hours, thats approx 8.8GB per day.

There can be other background tasks going on also. e.g overnight HomeHub updates, antivirus updates. This doesn't help.

Don't forget that 8mbps upload is 8 megabits per second, and not 8 megabytes per second.

Not good though.....

0 Ratings
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Nothing to do with any of the above. It's been on ALL night, and uploaded 185Mb. At this rate, approximately 2 years to go!

I checked the raw stats on the router, and nothing else has been hogging bandwidth.

"There can be other background tasks going on also. e.g overnight HomeHub updates, antivirus updates"

Both of which will have taken less than 10 seconds to download. So, it's just me experiencing this then?

I'll get onto support. I'm not holding out much hope based on what I've read about Cloud support in these forums...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 5

@lardconcepts wrote:

Nothing to do with any of the above. It's been on ALL night, and uploaded 185Mb. At this rate, approximately 2 years to go!

I checked the raw stats on the router, and nothing else has been hogging bandwidth.

"There can be other background tasks going on also. e.g overnight HomeHub updates, antivirus updates"

Both of which will have taken less than 10 seconds to download. So, it's just me experiencing this then?

I'll get onto support. I'm not holding out much hope based on what I've read about Cloud support in these forums...

I was just giving some suggestions.......It may not be specific to the Mac.

You should contact BT Cloud support on

0800 500 3114.

They may have suggestions on current situation.

0 Ratings
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Gave up after 45 minutes. Ridiculous that you can't send a message or open a ticket. Online chat wasn't working either... Just endless wait. I then went to the about page and saw that it was made by f-secure. And I'm pretty sure I now know what the F stands for...
0 Ratings