cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
amgill2
Message 1 of 7

BT Cloud - showing as full when it's not?

Go to solution

Hi, I am using the BT Cloud desktop app and have a 100 Gb allowance by virtue of my broadband.  The app is showing 62GB of synced folders (which is what I would expect as I also have the files in OneDrive) but the app is saying BT Cloud is full and can't sync any further.  Can anyone assist?  Thanks, Andrew

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cloud - showing as full when it's not?

Go to solution

Hi @amgill2,

I suspect that historical versions of previous files are what's taking up your missing space.

When have a file backed up to BT Cloud and then edit the file, BT Cloud backs up the updated file as a new 'version'. This can be useful if you save some changes to an important document but then realise you wanted the old version back, or if you ever fell victim to 'ransomware' that encrypts your files and wanted to restore the safe versions of them.

If you have large files that you update regularly, then you may find lots of space is being taken up with previous versions. If that's the case, you'll want to clean out some of the old 'versions' you don't use, to make more space in your BT Cloud account. You can find instructions on how to do that on our help pages, under 'BT Cloud on the Web'.

Hope this helps!

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
amgill2
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

That's great, thanks.  It looks like it's my email profile that has been multiplying out of control.  It would be handy if there was a way of automatically controlling versions in a future version.  Cheers!

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @amgill2,

Great, thanks for confirming that was the issue!

I agree - full control over versioning is one of the features I'm most looking forward to introducing. It won't be out in the next release (due in a couple of weeks) as that one just focuses on speed & performance improvements, but I'm planning to include it at some point this year.

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I am really struggling with this.

I have 100Gb storage which is showing on the dashboard as 99.7 full but the same dasboard app shows all my files as 43Gb in total.

My backup includes pst files so it makes sense that they are constantly changing and may be filling up space.

I can not find where I can see the multiple versions, you don't specify if its in the web view of the cloud or in the Dasboard app. I can't find these files in either. In additon the link to the help files is general and I am unable to find specific mention of version control.

Can you help me?

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You have to click on the specific file that has multiple versions in the web view of your BT Cloud then select 'Versions' from the 'More' drop down box that pops up. Trouble is that you have to select each version individually and delete it which can take a long time.

A long time ago before I knew about the versions situation I had a 20MB file that had so many versions backed up that it took up 8GB.

Of course you can delete the file totally, then the deleted file which should recover the space, then start backing it up again from scratch.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Can' thank you; enough spent about two hours today trying to find the answer, no one properly explained where the versions exitsed.

Lack of testing would be my guess, or techs testing thier own ideas. Some tick boxes would be help

0 Ratings