Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Cloud storage - not that good after all

Go to solution

So after many many attempts I have come to the conclusion that BT Cloud will not do what I really want it to do.

That is to store a load of old folders containing documents, pictures etc in the cloud storage without a copy of it all on my hard drive.

No matter which way you send this stuff to BT cloud you can't leave it there without also having all the same stuff on your hard disc. I just want it to sit there, untouched, not updated, not backed up, just sitting.  Also you have to create folders in the cloud to send files to, you cant for instance send a folder which is on a RW DVD.

I would also like to know what happens when you re-install your O/S to all the stuff you have in documets, pictures etc which is being automatically backed up and also the stuff you have in the BT Cloud Sync folder.  Will it all have been deleted when your new O/S is back to normal?

You get a much better system with Dropbox but after 2GB you have to start paying. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
graystreet
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Cloud storage - not that good after all

Go to solution

Oddly enough I've just been trying to exactly the same thing with storing rarely used but still useful folders, sadly coming to much the same conclusion as you have. I do regular backups to external drives but a ( free ) cloud solution would be nice.

I'm hoping some clever person out there will have a solution, please 🙂

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Hi graystreet. Yes quite happy with BT cloud automatically backing up my documents, pictures etc, that seems to work well. As you say we need somewhere to dump old stuff in a cloud where it would just sit waiting without having to have it all on your PC or laptop as well. Have tried all the other cloud services, Google, onedrive, Amazon etc but nobody offers it. They all can't upload folders either. You unusually have to create a folder and move its files into it. The worst thing about BT Cloud is that there is nobody at BT to ask. You can easily spend a day being transferred from one department to another and never find anybody who has any sensible idea, and if you end up in India you might as well put your phone down.
I think I may have an answer. Put your Rarely used DVDs,CDs etc in a biscuit tin and bury them in the woods. With a tracker device of course, then it won't matter if your house burns down and BT goes bust.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@graystreet wrote:

Oddly enough I've just been trying to exactly the same thing with storing rarely used but still useful folders, sadly coming to much the same conclusion as you have. I do regular backups to external drives but a ( free ) cloud solution would be nice.

I'm hoping some clever person out there will have a solution, please 🙂

This isn't a "clever" solution, but just a variant.

If you use the BT Cloud web application, you can upload files, but not folders. They don't stay on your pc.

The way around that is to bundle your files into a zipped folder, which Cloud treats as a single file. You can update the zipped folder contents as required.

However, I'm not sure if there are any individual file size limits imposed by Cloud.

It's a fiddly solution, and needs good organisation, but it works.

0 Ratings
graystreet
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Tarnbrick, I like the idea of a tin in the woods but, with my luck, somebody would build a housing estate on it 🙂

I've never had to try BT for support yet, only for placing orders. From what others have posted as well as yourself it is very easy to lose the will to live whilst trying to get an answer...

I'm currently exploring Ribblelancs's solution of zipping them all up into one stonking big file. 7-Zip says it'll be 18GB once it's finished so we'll see how BT's cloud likes that.!

I know it's not too convenient for access but at least they'll all be saved safely somewhere other than on external HDDs.

I'll post back on how it goes.

0 Ratings
graystreet
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

OK fell at the first hurdle, 5 GB single file size limit I am not beaten yet...Time to split the folders ....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@graystreet wrote:

OK fell at the first hurdle, 5 GB single file size limit I am not beaten yet...Time to split the folders ....

Making good progress then. Smiley Happy

It used to be 1GB for the web application. That was 2 years ago. 1GB would be a good limit to set for yourself.

But these things change.

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hello Ribblelancs.

You say you can upload files to BT cloud and they dont stay on your PC.  I can't do it.  This is my situation - I have a file on a DVD, its a Word Document that I want to upload to BT Cloud.  I go to BT Cloud and select "add files" which is the plus sign. It then wants me to select the file so I go to the DVD drive, find the file select it and click on "open".

The file is added to BT Cloud.  So far so good. But it is also added to the BT Cloud Sync folder on the PC's hard drive. If you go - This PC -"c" (normally)-Users-John(in my case)-BTCloudSync - the file you added is there.  If you added a large file you can also check that the used portion of the hard drive has increased accordingly.

So I am back to my original point that whatever you put in the cloud creates the same file, or eventually folder, on your hard drive in the BT Cloud Sync folder. I accept that it will then stay as it is, no automatic updating, but you can manually alter it or whatever.

I just want somewhere to "dump" stuff without it cluttering up my PC.

Would be interested to see if you can throw any further light on this and many thanks for your interest.

P.S. Your name suggests you are near the River Ribble, I am 200 yards from it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Tarnbrick wrote:

Hello Ribblelancs.

You say you can upload files to BT cloud and they dont stay on your PC.  I can't do it.  This is my situation - I have a file on a DVD, its a Word Document that I want to upload to BT Cloud.  I go to BT Cloud and select "add files" which is the plus sign. It then wants me to select the file so I go to the DVD drive, find the file select it and click on "open".

The file is added to BT Cloud.  So far so good. But it is also added to the BT Cloud Sync folder on the PC's hard drive. If you go - This PC -"c" (normally)-Users-John(in my case)-BTCloudSync - the file you added is there.  If you added a large file you can also check that the used portion of the hard drive has increased accordingly.

So I am back to my original point that whatever you put in the cloud creates the same file, or eventually folder, on your hard drive in the BT Cloud Sync folder. I accept that it will then stay as it is, no automatic updating, but you can manually alter it or whatever.

I just want somewhere to "dump" stuff without it cluttering up my PC.

Would be interested to see if you can throw any further light on this and many thanks for your interest.

P.S. Your name suggests you are near the River Ribble, I am 200 yards from it. 

I'm putting this link in below, for your information:-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-and-Extras-from-BT/BT-Cloud-Use-storage-without-quot-sync-quot-or-b...

Hope it comes through ok.

Basically you delete / uninstall the BT Cloud PC application on your pc.

Then the "add files" just adds files to BT Cloud, nothing else.

Of course, you will have to retrieve any files you already have in BT Cloud, although they should be there in BT Cloud sync folder.

It's only a workaround as you still need space on your pc's hard disk if you ever needed to recover all the files in one go.

Hence you would keep any zipped folders to a manageable size.

It helps to have a second pc, which in my case is a desktop.

Yes I'm in Ribble Valley. The River Calder flows through here, and meets the Ribble about 2 miles away. It's an interesting walk to see it, i.e. where the rivers join.

There's no steam trains at the moment, Smiley Sad  but they should be back later this month.

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hello Ribblelancs.

So I had my current stuff - docs, photos etc set to be backed up automatically to BT Cloud. This actually worked quite well.  Then I had the other folders and files which were in BT Cloud Sync folder on my C drive and also on the same named folder in BT Cloud.  These are the things I have been trying to dump in the cloud but keep them off my PC.

Now I have uninstalled the BT Cloud software from my PC.  After that was done, all files were in exactly the same place. Obviously now there will be no more back-up/syncing of anything. So then I deleted the BT Cloud Sync folder on my C drive, This of course released a lot of useable space on C drive.

All the files had remained where they were on BT Cloud webpage including the folder BT Cloud Sync. So now I can manually do stuff on the files still on the webpage.

As regards my current stuff that I like to keep backed up and synced, I have put all that on Dropbox and just managed to stay under the 2GB free limit.

So what you could do if you could be bothered is install the BT cloud software for the purposes of keeping your current stuff updated and uploading stuff you just want to dump to BT Cloud Sync folder.  Then uninstall the software and delete the newly created BT Cloud Sync folder on your C drive.

I now need to go for a lie down in a darkened room.

I live in Freckleton and we can't decide whether all this water is still the River Ribble or has become the Irish Sea. Everybody calls it the Ribble so that's fine by me.  And we have a steam train down Preston docks which runs every time a virgin walks by. Doesn't run often.

Regards. 

0 Ratings