Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: BT Cloud storage - not that good after all

Go to solution

Glad you sorted something out.

BT Cloud is quite adaptable and versatile in it's own way. It's a case of "it's all there somewhere, sort it all out". (Rather like the gearbox in a 1960's Mini.)

I seem to remember the rail link to Preston Docks in the 1990's. The signals were always active, but Iv'e forgotten exactly what the line was used for. When the docks were in use in the past they were always occupied by foreign deep-sea fishing vessels. And the IOM Ferry.

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Ribble lancs.

Railway originally took tar from Lanfina works to Preston railway station. Lanfina still in business but all goes by road now. Small railway museum now on docks.

0 Ratings
graystreet
Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

Just a quick update for the sake of completeness. I've managed to get all of the files onto the BT Cloud, I'm not too worried about easy accessibility as I've got them all on a NAS, I just wanted somewhere to shove them in case of famine, pestilence or war. So I bundled them into 4x 4GBish zip files and uploaded those. It took a while with 20 Mbps upload speed but it got there in the end.

While I was playing I set my mobile to auto upload photos as well so a few days relatively well spent.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

0 Ratings
HermesXXI
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

OK - these pages are labelled 'community' and so here is my two penn'th.

I'm a bit phased to not be the only whinging so-and-so who expects total excellent service at no cost.

I am grateful for the 'deleting the app' workaround that has been recommended. It will obviously take time to check the variations and find the solution that works well for me. Same requests and same problems as everybody else - the remedy offered seems logical and I envisage it working as described to solve my dilemma.

In the 'community' spirit I was less impressed with the railway/waterway history than I was with the suggestion of burying my data in the woods. If enough of us do that it should solve the housing crisis.
Regarding the relevant issue of cloud storage - like you all, maybe, I have boxes of backed-up zip discs and DVDs etc, which require legacy software and hardware to access - so much for a 'storage life'. I've already come to the conclusion that it is ephemeral despite best efforts (backed up by conversations with American tourists, who should know) - why should our new-fangled cloud be any different?
Let's face the fact that this service is not for the likes of the contributors, who have important documents and files to preserve (incidentally - double check - not all my files were copied/synced, although to be fair I uploaded over 1000 individual docs in one go. The issue of folders should be highlighted, as everything landed in a heap without preserving the folder structure I used 'at home'). Anyway, back to the thread - this service is meant for phone users who wish to preserve their valuable pictorial memories for posterity and their old-age, not for preserving archives of a long past era when operating systems were loaded by (a single) floppy disc and measured in kilobytes (or whatever data your own documents hold - sorry for the assumptions, but you all seem to know the score with computers).

Well, Thanks for the tips (the reason I 'joined' the world wide web).

Afterword - It is rare that I contribute my thoughts to forums. I don't use a mobile 'phone and so no Twitter and hence my respect for the mobile-phone users of this millennium who know what the digital revolution was for. In order to post this I had to log-in by setting up a new user account with username and password, always a delight, give away my private email address and was stymied by my browser not supporting the Captcha, - 'teaching driverless cars what traffic lights look like to humans', - artificial, Artificial Intelligence. Just saying. Maybe it will never be posted.

0 Ratings