cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigT456
Beginner
Message 1 of 46

BT FON counting towards monthly usage allowance.

Go to solution
Hope someone can help as I am at the end of my tether. Been a bt broadband customer for years. We have BT Infinity with a 40gb download limit. Last month we suddenly used 66gb and were billed £32. This month are usage is already higher than normal. My husband did a test by downloading a specific amount using FON and we checked our usage the next day...this was added to our monthly usage allowance instead of FON. Have been on the phone to BT for 3 hours today and have got nowhere. They say that FON doesn't count towards our allowance which we know! Something changed last month and we now have no free WIFI Fon minutes. BT just won't accept this and we don't know what to do. Why for two years have we been able to use FON and now suddenly it is counting towards our allowance...we aren't doing anything different. They just don't seem to get it or are unwilling to - is this a sly way of trying to move us on to unlimited broadband? They may just lose a customer if we can't get this resolved....does anyone have any suggestions please as we are desperate!
0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 46

Re: BT FON counting towards monthly usage allowance.

Go to solution

See this thread as it may well be a problem that seems to affect several people https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Usage-Massive-Surge/td-p/1296353

Message 3 of 46

Go to solution

As you have 10,000 minutes per month of useage before the clock starts to tick on this, its highly unlikey that your Fon use is the issue IMHO.

I suspect [if you pay by DD] that your payments have gone out of sync or that some aspect of your account[s] need to be checked for the correct provisioning.

[This issue, and a plethora of others that come on here is substantially why I choose to pay quarterly by bill, rather than DD, as simply, my own view is that BT to not 'do' DD's very well sadly].

I suggest that you gather as much info as you can from your PC's, phones tablets etc of useage and ask for a breakdown of your most recent billing[and the billing before that].  Although your intuition and judgement are trusted concepts for us the customers, the operatives on the other end of the phone line need more than that to action this issue.

It may be that you would welcome the more customer friendly pair of hands on this issue from Bt; to that end I am flagging your post to expedite this. If/when you receive an e-mail or personal message via this forum to this end, provide as much info as you can, and please come back I hope before to long to tell us that this issue has been satisfactorily resolved Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 46

Go to solution

Hi BigT456,

Welcome to the community forum. BT WiFI (BT Fon) does not count towards your usage allowance. I can take a look at your connection to see if we can work out where the extra usage has come from. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
BigT456
Beginner
Message 5 of 46

Go to solution
Thank you for your message. We understand that FON shouldnt count against our monthly allowance. Last month (after two years using FON) it is counting our FON in our monthly allowance and it is happening again this month. I have deleted all our wireless profiles, disconnected all mobile devices and pcs from our network and connected to our public sharing hotspot on our home hub...I downloaded a specific file amd done nothing else for two days. This is then showing up on our monthly usage allowance and I have explained this to BT Technical support for three hours and their response is that the download is done through our home hub so counts as our usage. I have been using our homehub hotspot for two years, watching netflix etc why last month does it suddenly change that we cannot use our home FON hotspot? Nobody has told us we can't.
0 Ratings
BigT456
Beginner
Message 6 of 46

Go to solution
After being told at the weekend that it is impossible for Wifi Fon Hotspots usage to be counted on our home hub we have received an email from BT stating that they have made a mistake and that it WAS going onto our monthly usage...not an explanation as to why this suddenly started happening but we did get an apology and a refund of the excess charges. Neil provided excellent customer service and without this I doubt whether the problem would have been resolved. I have a somewhat jaded view of BT customer following our treatment at the weekend but Neil has gone a little way to help improve this again. Perseverance on our part paid off as we knew we were in the right....still a bit undecided if we will stay with BT though...
0 Ratings
peterwot
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 46

Go to solution

Big T

Please see

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Usage-Massive-Surge/m-p/1316485#M43054

where several of us have been in contact with BT about exactly this issue.

It wd be enormously helpful to us if you posted  a copy the email you received from BT to the above thread.

Many thanks

SimonW
Contributor
Message 8 of 46

Go to solution
Ditto Peter's comment above.

There's a group of us experiencing exactly the same problem with high usage figures from FON hitting our personal allowance.

I think we'd all really appreciate it if you could copy the email onto this thread please.
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 46

Go to solution

BigT,

I too would love to see this mail publicised, ###   B U T   ####

NB BT tend to put something at the bottom of their e-mails warning about not publicising them etc etc .

Please check this is not the case & therefore don't give them any excuse to kill/lock my thread for you breaching any of their conditions. 

By all means post it here on your thread if allowed & PM it to those others of us affected.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 46

Go to solution

From the forum Terms and Conditions of use.

Email & Live Chat

Please do not post any emails or live chat transcripts that you have received from another person.  In most scenarios these contacts will be intended as a private conversation rather than public discussion.  It’s fine to paraphrase the contents of the message but posting in its entirety will be removed by the moderators.   

You may need to PM each other