Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjbinx
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Fon login not working

Hi all

Whenever I try to connect to a bt Fon SSID, even the one on my own router, I'm asked for my BT email address and password.

When I type this in it doesn't work, I just get told it's an incorrect username or password.

It's not. This password logs me on to my BT account on the BT website.

I'm a bt broadband customer. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
PaddyB
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Fon login not working

Hi @jjbinx,

It's good to see you back on the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry you're having difficulties login into BT WiFi (fon). Please can you check to make sure that you have opted in? 

To do so -

1. Log into My BT >
  2. Choose Your package and then Inclusive extras
  3. Scroll down to BT Wi-fi and click on Manage BT Wifi

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
jjbinx
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi Paddy

I don't see a way to manage BT WiFi. I also don't see anything called package, but I can see a link called "your products"

It lets me manage my broadband, manage my landline but there's no way to manage my WiFi.

Further down it says BT WiFi is included but instead of manage it says learn more.

Then it takes me to a page telling me how to connect, but when I follow the steps I can't connect.

Help!

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 11

Hi @jjbinx

Thank you for posting back. If you contact the BT Wifi helpdesk on 0800 022 3322 they'll be able to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

normally to login to btwifi/fon it is your BTID that is required which is normally different to your email address

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
wolstan_dixie
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO

I own a FON router, this for the last 10 years has given me free access to BT Wifi-with-FON when travelling.

As of today Friday 19th June 2020 the BT Hotspot 'BT Wifi-with-FON' SSID has been re-branded 'BT Wifi'. The log in screen no longer offers me a BT Wifi-with-FON log in. If I use my FON log in for the BT Wifi option it doesn't work.

It appears BT have removed FON support with no warning?

0 Ratings
stevegos
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I'm in the same boat. I used to have a Fonera device and thus a Fon account which up until yesterday worked fine and gave me slow but reliable internet when travelling. But now the Fon login option is missing from the BT Wifi login screen. I can find no announcement about this. BT is still listed as a premium partner on the Fon web site and Fon is still mentioned all over the BT help pages.

How do we continue to use Fon?

0 Ratings
jjbinx
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I contacted support at BT on the phone last night and the person I spoke to couldn't fix my problem.

I'm out of ideas. I did try opting out of WiFi and back in but that didn't achieve anything.

0 Ratings
wolstan_dixie
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I can only assume they have ceased offering FON but haven't told anybody - hoping no one will notice. Can a BT person reply?

0 Ratings
stevegos
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I just spoke to BT wifi support who said they were only told yesterday that BT have not renewed with Fon (even though BT were a founding shareholder of Fon!). The negotiations have been ongoing for some time but not got anywhere thus the login support has been removed. They have given me a 30 day free voucher for BT Wifi access and told that after that I may have to pay but to call back in 30 days to see whats happening.

I do hope they get this working again as I use this a lot as I travel around and my mobile data is not a good signal where I typically travel.

Tags (1)