cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 31

BT Home Hub 2.0 wireless problems

Since yesterday, the wireless on my computer keeps randomly not workig. The lights on the hub are blue. It is not due to the computer as my other laptop has the same problem. It happened around 5 times yesterday, and a couple of times today. The only way to reconnect it is by restarting the hub using the button on the side.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT Home Hub 2.0 wireless problems

Hi SM,

Please could you download the 'inSSIDer' software from the internet and check the wireless channels which are covering your area?

If your homehub is using a congested channel, you might need to change it within the BT Homehub. You will need to pick a channel which no other network is broadcasting on to maximize performance.

I hope this helps 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 31

Thank you for your reply. Is it compatible with Windows 7? Also I have had it for a long time without any problems?
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 31

Yes, it is compatible with Windows 7 🙂

As for the fact that you have had no problems before, can I suggest that you do a full reset of your homehub before you change the wireless channel? (Resetting it afterwards will result in you having to repeat putting the new channel in).

Sometimes, things like this can be quite sudden if there is a bad setting in the Hubs' firmware.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Bert93
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

I'm encountering the same problem, happens to me like 10 - 15 times per/day 😕 really annoying, need to fix this **bleep** problem! 

Kind Regards, Bert
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 31

Hi

As suggested any problems with wireless connectivity download inSSider.

What this will do is give you a graphical display of other routers within your locality. The fact that you have never had problems before proves that it is not a problem with your own setup.

What has probably happened is that someone local to you has now gone on the internet and got themselves a wireless router, the problem is that their router is set as the same channel as yours ( there is only 12 to go round)

So by checking with inSSIDer you will be able to see what router is on what channel, you can then move the channel that your router is on to a less congested.

The problem is that most BT home hubs come set as one of 2 channel numbers and prob the same for other ISP routers.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 31

Hi I have installed it and checked. I am on channel 7 and so are 2 other users. Other channels being used are 1, 6 and 11. I looked on my home hub page and refreshed the part where it can look for the best channel and it stayed on 7.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

if you enter the hub manager again and then switch to manual instead of auto then select a free channel and then save.

any wireless devices connected will disconnect and then reconnect as the ssid has not changed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 31

Is there any particular channel I should try first?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

if you are using inssider2 then you will see the channels currently in use by others (and yourself) and you are looking for a free channel or if it is that busy then one where the other signals are low in the graph about 80/90db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings