you always have the option of using your own router
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 12 of 188

Re: BT Home Hub 5 and FON

@john46 wrote:
you always have the option of using your own router

I appreciate you are trying to help, but it's a poor solution since in many cases it means spending money on a new router when a perfectly good one is already in their possession.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 188

it was an option that has been suggested many times as the OP has just obtained a HH5 as shown on the BT.com website it has to be purchased anyway and if the fon/wifi service is an issue then rather than buying a device that is on as default it is as easy to buy a router that does not have the service on it by turning the feature of the enduser is the one losing out on a useful service while out and about
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 14 of 188

@john46 wrote:
the OP has just obtained a HH5 as shown on the BT.com website it has to be purchased anyway and if the fon/wifi service is an issue then rather than buying a device that is on as default it is as easy to buy a router that does not have the service on it by turning the feature of the enduser is the one losing out on a useful service while out and about

What about all the people getting a HH4 and a HH5 after signing up to BT? Should they buy a new router or perhaps maybe BT should fix it so that it does not take 28 days to opt out?

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 188

it does not always take 28 days that is the worse scene scenario as to most people they do not seem to worry about it as they see the advantages as it has little if any affect on your broadband service as the main user of the connection always has priority and if the connection is maxed out no one can use fon /wifi anyway and the service has been around since the hub 2
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 16 of 188

@john46 wrote:
it does not always take 28 days that is the worse scene scenario

More often than not I've seen it take 28 days, or close to that.

@john46 wrote:
as to most people they do not seem to worry about it as they see the advantages as it has little if any affect on your broadband service as the main user of the connection always has priority and if the connection is maxed out no one can use fon /wifi anyway and the service has been around since the hub 2

Once the user opts out of FON via the website they are not receiving any benefit from FON, so their router should stop broadcasting FON to others within hours in my opinion.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
kitkat388
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 188

Hi guys .
It's very simple solution . All I did is option out on the webpage then for the confirmation I called 08000223322 free from my BT landline and option it out again!
I keep checking for a day on my BT home hub 5 and is still active which I am sure who ever option out wont be happy as we already been stop using other BT hotspot why the hell our own hotspot still can be use by other!!!!! Buying third party routers is none sense when you got supply by BT one of the great router on the market (hhb5).

What I did next is I am sure it's won't take BT 28 days that long just to switch it off from there side . I just on did a hardware reset on my bt home hub 5 by pressing the reset button on the top . Then when it's come back to live, I check again ... Hooray!! It's not active anymore on my router : )

I think just as you reset the hub 5 it's will sync with BT to update your detail with BT . If BT has update your detail on their server then resetting it will update your detail from BT server to your BT home hub !!!!!

That should shorter the time of wait for your hub to update and get your BT hotspot to be turn off!!

Hope this help!

Kitkat
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 18 of 188

Sadly, whenever I've tried a factory reset on the HH4 is defaults FON to ON and does not deactivate it for weeks even if the user was already opted out on the website.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
kitkat388
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 188

Oh dear! Did you tried calling that number I post above ?
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 20 of 188

@kitkat388 wrote:
Oh dear! Did you tried calling that number I post above ?

No, the website says "opted out". Does the phone number do the same thing?

opted.png

Oliver.
0 Ratings