Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 1 of 54

BT Infinity - unable to opt-out (again) from BT Wi-fi

Go to solution

Looking for some help with this one, I've had BT Wifi disabled on my HH5 since I joined BT about two years ago as I don't want it broadcasting the additional networks and I have no need for it (I get BT Wifi free anyway due to being on BT Mobile). I've just moved home and unfortunately, in the process BT Wifi has been enabled again. I'm unable to log in to the BT Wifi website itself to opt out (it tells me my BT ID username isn't recognised when it's the same one I always use), and when I use THIS link that was posted elsewhere and click the Opt-out button, I get the message "Sorry, we have been unable to opt you out of BT Wi-fi. Please try again."

Is there any way at all for this to be disabled at the backend? I'm inclined to think it's the cause of (or at least, contributing towards) the wifi performance issues I'm now having since I moved. Even when I'm in the same room as the HomeHub I get erratic speeds.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 54

Re: BT Infinity - unable to opt-out (again) from BT Wi-fi

Go to solution

Hi @chrisdw

Welcome to the BT Community Forums.

One of the moderators may be able to help turn off the BT Wi-Fi.

In the interim, have you tried looking at the wi-fi reception in your new place with a Wi-Fi Analyzer app, such as WiFi Explorer (iOS) or WiFi Analyzer (Android)? You can install one on your phone or tablet, and see what the signal strength looks like all over your home. It could just be overlapping channels with the neighbours or the orientation / positioning of the HH5. The HH5 may have automatic channel selection enabled, but this doesn't always make the best choice for your home overall (since it's based on what the router receives from other networks rather than the network conditions where you are using your wifi).

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 3 of 54

Go to solution

Cheers, yeah I've tried that on my phone plus inSSIDer on my PC. There is a lot of clashing with other networks in my building regardless of which channel I choose, so I'm not putting the blame solely on the open BT wifi network, but at least if I can disable it I can start to rule things out. Even with my HH5 in a central position in my flat and quite high up, I'm still getting erratic speeds. Was hoping that some powerline adapters (BT branded funnily enough) would solve the issue for my PC at least, but they're no more consistent unfortunately.

Hopefully a mod can assist with opting me out in the meantime.

0 Ratings
asif2017
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 54

Go to solution

I have a similar issue.

I was advised to deactivate BT wifi from my BT account.

I have done this but my router is still showing the BT Wi-fi status as active.

How can I deactivate this??

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 54

Go to solution

I have found that Opting out can sometimes be difficult but try Opting in (regardless what the status says) leave it for a couple of hours, sometime you get an email welcoming you to BT Fon, and then Opting out. Use this link:

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btwifi&utm_source=ATL&utm_medium=FURL&utm_con...

0 Ratings
asif2017
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 54

Go to solution

It does not recognise my BT login details.

I dont have a BTinternet email address.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 54

Go to solution

@asif2017 wrote:

It does not recognise my BT login details.

I dont have a BTinternet email address.

You should use your "MyBT" Log in details but if that is not working then you may need assistance from the Moderators.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 54

Go to solution

Hi @asif2017 and @chrisdw

I'll be able to opt you out of BT Wifi. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 9 of 54

Go to solution

Great, thanks very much. I've filled out the form.

0 Ratings
asif2017
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 54

Go to solution
Thanks - ditto!
0 Ratings