cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT McAfee software incompatible with future versions of MacOS

My new iMac keeps warning me about McAfee as follows:

About legacy system extensions

Some system extensions will not be compatible with a future version of macOS.

System extensions are a category of software that works in the background to extend the functionality of your Mac. Some apps install kernel extensions, which are a kind of system extension that work using older methods that aren't as secure or reliable as modern alternatives. Your Mac identifies these as legacy system extensions.

In 2019, Apple informed developers that macOS Catalina will be the last macOS to fully support legacy system extensions, and we've been working with developers to transition their software. By moving beyond these extensions, developers are helping to further modernise the Mac, improve its security and reliability, and enable more user-friendly software distribution methods. A final transition date has not been set yet.

Until the transition is complete, your Mac displays a message when a legacy system extension first loads, and again periodically while the extension remains in use. This gives you advance notice that existing software on your system loaded a system extension that will be incompatible with a future version of macOS:

Legacy system extensions and the apps that rely on them continue to work today. But now is a good time to contact the developer to learn whether an updated version of their software is available or planned. The developer can also explain how to remove or disable the extension, and the consequences of doing so.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT McAfee software incompatible with future versions of MacOS

Ive been getting the same intermittent reminder messages.  I uploaded BT virus security extras to my MacBook Pro shortly after I bought it end of May 2020 then started getting the messages after a system update that there would be incompatibilities with future macOS versions.  I went to Apple support (having purchased the AppleCare product with the laptop) and they told me I would need to contact the supplier of the software to get help with fully uninstalling the software - they did help me uninstall the McAfee software to an extent - but these Kernel extensions still remained which I was told the software developers of the company supplying the software need to update their software or provide help to remove/disable them (they were very apologetic but explained it is not their responsibility because I willingly set the non proprietary softwares up on my MacBook so it is down to me to find the solution with the third party). So wish I hadn't ever put these so called security apps on my lovely new MacBook now (first one I've ever had) - I could cry - I don't even know if it is secure now (although Apple support have assured me it currently is - what about if I can't get rid of these kernel legacy extensions before the future macOS version comes into being?)   I do remember having to change some file extensions when I installed the BT McAfee antivirus software and felt then that I might be going against my better instincts (thought processes amounted to - macOS systems are supposed to be so much more secure - do I really need these bolt ons - they come with my broadband package must be okay - BT is a big company they must be up to date with all these new systems - mustn't they?). Aaaargh - don't know where to find a solution - have gone round and round the BT website to try to find where/who to put the query to - can't find any particular space for the BT/McAfee queries (there is a downloadable McAfee technical advisor app but  is not supported on macOS and I am wary of downloading any more apps to the MacBook now!).  

Is there anybody in BT community able to advise?  Do hope not too many of you made similar mistake of downloading the McAfee software to their lovely, new, much longed for MacBook only to have the experience denigrated by not knowing what the effects are/will be to the macOS system. 😒

Any advice?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT McAfee software incompatible with future versions of MacOS

Sorry to hear you have the same problem.  You could use resolver.com which gets you into BT directly and escalates if no reply received. Thanks for sharing, I thought I was going mad. Good luck!

0 Ratings