Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

BT Net Protect keeps checking for updates and hanging

Go to solution

Occasionally I look at the taskbar and see the wheel spinning on the BT Net Protect icon. If I hover over it the box says it is checking for updates. However I cannot open BT Net Protect, cancel the update of take any action, it seems to have hung.

If I reboot and then open BT Net Protect immediately I can manual update the software with no issues. A day or two later it will be hung like before. The only solution I can see if to remove the auto update function and run this manually.

I tried the McAfee repair tool but that offered no solution.  I am running on Win 7 SP1.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Net Protect keeps checking for updates and hanging

Go to solution

My solution of cancelling auto updates did not prevent McAfee from hanging it was just not as visible.  I uninstalled McAfee following advice is McAfee Support document TS100119 and reinstalled it again from My BT. I wait in hope this is now resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Alan_in_Hemel,

Thanks for the update. I hope this is sorted for you but please keep us updated on how you get on.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

The problem has happened again with the system tray icon saying McAfee is Checking for updates but the application will not respond to any command to open or cancel updates. This status will persist until I reboot. I ran McAfee Virtual Technician but it reported there were no problems. It could be that McAfee is running perfectly in the background but without being able to open the application then i cannot tell.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks but I have been down that route before and regretted it. I think it was AVG that I switched to after previous trouble with McAfee, as few years ago now, but I ended up getting infected.

Also one of the main reasons I stick with BT and thier sky high prices is the free McAfee which I run on four computers. Perhaps I need to upgrade this Win 7 desktop as McAfee runs okay on the three Win 10 laptops in the house.

I will continue to monitor McAfee and see if I can find any pattern to this unusual behaviour. 

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The only pattern i can detect is that if the PC is left on for a long period, say a few hours, then the McAfee icon in the system tray becomes unresponsive. I have checked in task manager and all services appear to be running so what does this mean?

If McAfee is still protecting my computer and it is merely an inconvenience to have to reboot to access the options then I can live with that.

If however once the icon is frozen McAfee is no longer protecting the computer then this is more serious and I will have to decide on what I do next.

Anyone any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Osprey31
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

A similar thing happened to me this morning. I uninstalled Net Protect, re-installed it, immediatelly ran an update which succeeded and i have successfully run a complete scan without any further issues.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I now have automatic updates turned off and check for them myself. usually on start up, I then ensure the update has been successful.

My initial problem of McAfee hanging has not happened for a while now. I cannot link this to the update process as it continued when I first went manual. So I may resume the automated ones again and see what impact that has.

It does worry me that these problems do not seem to have any rational explanation.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

A recent update of McAfee, which now has a new icon in the task bar, has cured the problem.  

0 Ratings