cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bshepherd380
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT NetProtect installation on 2nd laptop

I'm trying to install BT NetProtect on my laptop. I find the link on MyBT which downloads the program, however, when I try to install it I get a message saying I must install the later version, so I click contine and it downloads a later version. When I try to install the later version I get a screen asking me to log into my McAfee account using my email address and password??????? As far as I know I don't have a McAfee account. I tried using my BT login details but that didn't work. This is so frustrating!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT NetProtect installation on 2nd laptop

Forget BT NetProtect and use one of the free AV's, much better option.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Make sure that there are no pre-bundled free versions of McAfee already on the computer. Some manufacturers load their computers with lots of free rubbish. If there is, you will need to uninstall it and use the McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Having said that my advice and that of others on the forum would be to not BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Thanks! I had exactly the same problem, but using this remover fixed it. I've put Virus Protect on three laptops so far, and it seems to be working ok on them.

Also - it's really useful having this forum to get guidence on all the extra stuff that comes with BT Broadband, so thanks for your help. Can't help thinknig it would be better if answers like this were easier to find on the BT Website.

0 Ratings
CrazyDavidP
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi I have this problem, Using Windows Pro 8.1. I have run the Removal Software and restarted but it still keeps asking me to install from a newer file, you click contine and it takes you to McAfee, it gives you a Download file, but when you install it asks for the Email address and Password you registetered to McAfee. I tried BT user name and Password but it says invalid. So I called BT but they can;t help me for 3 days, claiming its something to do with my account. I don't think it is. I had this issue last week on a New Windows 10 Laptop and I had to reinstall windows to get it to work. But this time its refusing point black.

Does anyone have a fix, been told to do something by BT I could try, its really bugging me. 

Just checked Regedit and McAfee is in there, So the removal tool is not working

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

If you have McAfee installed on your computer, you must uninstall it first. Once it is uninstalled you then re-start your computer and then run the McAfee uninstall tool.

The best answer though is not to install it. It consistently comes out poorly on consumer tests and the very fact it has problems installing should tell you something.

0 Ratings
CrazyDavidP
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks but I like and trust it, it normally works well with my other software. This install issue is a nightmare, And the call centre is poor for customer service. Anyone else know a fix?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Obviously your choice.

If you still have traces of McAfee in the registry that will be the root of your problem. You may have to remove the entries manually. 

Without seeing what the entries are it is difficult to give accurate advice but this may be a starting point although your entries may be different depending on the product issue number.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65863&epo0714

If that is no help you may be better to try the McAfee forum rather than wasting your time with BT Customer Service who will only have very basic knowledge.

0 Ratings