Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frances5
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Parental Controls not working

Go to solution

Hi,

We've always had Parental Controls active on MyBT but they've never worked, I can test by adding to blocked sites but they are still accessible. We get e-mails that parental controls are set but they are ineffective on the actual wifi. This forum is the only place I've found mentioning problems with the Parental Controls and solutions. I previously contacted the BT helpdesk but the suggested factory reset didn't work. I feel like I've tried everything;  HubManager, DNS check, cache refresh, multiple factory resets but without success - I don't think there's anything I am able to do to fix it. Was hoping someone here might be able to help.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
DavidM
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Parental Controls not working

Go to solution

Hi @frances5 and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about your parental controls. I'm sorry you're having problems. Can you give me some more information on the issue. Are you seeing any error messages? What content are you trying to block? If you can give me as much detail as possible I'll try to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
frances5
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi David,

That's the problem - there's no error messages. Everything appears to be set fine in the Parental Controls in MyBT, I even get email confirmation the settings have changed. But if I put common websites into the blocked list (google,bbc) or try to block search engines, as a test,  I don't see the sites blocked. It's like my account isn't linked to my wifi somehow.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back @frances5 .

Just to be clear. If you try logging on to a blocked site directly can you still access it or is it just when going through a search engine?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
frances5
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yes I can still access blocked sites directly. I've tried explicitly blocking www.google.co.uk, www.bbc.co.uk and www.youtube.com just to test. In each case I can still reach the site directly from any device. Even if I have strict filters enabled, everyone can still reach social media sites, etc. Completely ineffective.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @frances5  thanks for posting back to confirm that. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you with this.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @frances5,

Sorry about the delay in getting this issue resolved for you. 

We are still working on getting this issue fixed. Would you be able to private message me screenshots of your Parental Control Blocked List?

Matt

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @frances5,

Would you be able to test again and let me know if Parental Controls is now working?

If Parental Controls is still not working would you be able to send me the requested screenshots?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings