cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoConfused
Message 1 of 7

BT Parental Controls

I have set up BT Parental Controls on my PC, mmmmmm.

Rebooted. I then go into Goolge and type in PAWN (NOT SPELT LIKE THAT) !! in the search and view images - hey presto guess what I get. Yes images of PAWN - just what I don't expect after setting up my BT Parental Controls.

Am I doing something wrong.  Can someone please help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Parental Controls

Do you mean the Network Based Parental controls which you set up via your MyBT account?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768#settingup

They affect all devices but can take a couple of hours to be fully implemented.

You have to restart the home hub, and also clear out any cached DNS entries by going into the command prompt on the PC, and typing

ipconfig /flushdns

0 Ratings
SoConfused
Message 3 of 7

We have been trying to sort this out all weekend.

Will follow your instructions and report back, thanks.

0 Ratings
SoConfused
Message 4 of 7

Do you mean that I have to clear them all off from each computer I have with difference version of windows etc?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If you did it via MyBT, what that does is to redirect your DNS requests so they go via the network filtering system.

This does not normally take place until your public IP changes, which is why they tell you to restart the home hub.

Because your computers retain the old DNS lookups for a period of time, usually up to one day, if you search for stuff that you wanted blocking, the computer would use the stored entries, instead of looking up the new ones from the BT filter.

By clearing out the old DNS entries, you force the computer to get new entries, which would then give you the blocking page.

You would have to do this on all computers, or just leave them for a day so the old entries expire.

0 Ratings
SoConfused
Message 6 of 7

Update:

Removed and uninstalled the free mcaffe and it caused more problems.

Yes I did use the Parental controls panel online.

I have now set them to STRICT. Logged out

Reset the router

Cleared all my PC using the instructions ie clearing out the old DNS entries.

And waited for 24 hours just in case.

Now if I try to access either a dating site or facebook - the site is blocked, which you woudl expect.

BUT if I go into google and type in P*RN and view the images - yes I can see them all !!!!  EVERYTHING !!!!!

Any ideas please before I get on the phone to BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

I don`t think it blocks images as they are cached by Google. So unless you block Google, you are still going to see them.

This issue has been raised before.

If you went directly to the site concerned, the site would be blocked.

No DNS based Parental Controls are effective against images which are not hosted on an individual server. Many companies use cloud based services to store images, and these often point to Amazon`s cloud computing platform. You would have to block Amazon to stop those.

0 Ratings