Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 7 of 20

BT Parental controls are broken

Go to solution

I'm unable to use my own DNS to access the internet and services which I need for work. My parental controls are not actviated on my account. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

You're seeing this page because BT Parental Controls is active and you are attempting to connect to a DNS server outside of our network.
You may have selected a different server in your network settings or installed an application that uses an alternative service.
Click here to find out how to fix this

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

DNS issues and the new update for Home Hub 5

Go to solution

What has happened to BT?

I have just received a message stating I have BT parental controls activated (which I do not) and I couldn't connect to any website. I've always used the Open DNS, but it now looks like you cannot use another DNS other than BT's 😞 If I try to use Open DNS or Google, the message pops up stating to deactivate parental controls, which is odd since they are not even activated.

I have just gone into the adaptor settings, checked the IPv4 settings and altered the use the following DNS server addresses back to obtain manually and everything is back to normal.

Is it now the case that a BT customer cannot use their own choice of DNS server and is forced to use BT's?

Also I've noticed since the BT home hub 5 new update 2 days ago, that my hub was automatically reset last night and the speed has dropped quite a bit.

Since an engineer fixed a line fault on the 26th May, speed wise has been very good and consistant. The noise margin for up and down has been roughly 6.0 all the time, give or take a small margin, but my download noise margin now shows 8.4 (it was 6.1 yesterday) and my download data rate has dropped to 51645. The maximum shows just over 59000, although it has been as high as 6300 a month ago. My upload speed has not been as good since the engineer fixed things, but I put that down to being put on a different pair of wires, as this was down to fixing the last issue I had. Upload is still about 8.5/9, down from 9.5/10 so not bothered there, it's more the download speed that I take notice of.

I thought this new software update for the home hub 5 (version a) was supposed to improve things, not decrease you?

I realise the line monitoring system could improve things once again, but it seems odd to have such a high jump from 6.1 to 8.4 for the noise margin, in the space of less than a day. Just wondering what is going off.

Any advice/answer to the above questions would be appreciated, thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: DNS issues and the new update for Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Parental controls have to be uninstalled, simply not having them active will still block 3rd party DNS.

BT seem to be installing them automatically, using the lowest setting, so most people would not notice.

There is an option to uninstall them, which is the only thing you can do.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Keith.

I've used the Open DNS servers for the last couple of years and this message has never appeared before, which is why I thought the new update may have something to do with it.

The message did say click here, but when I clicked on it, it takes you to the BT login page. I couldn't see anywhere to uninstall these parental controls. I could only see where it mentioned it was not activated, at the side of other BT add on options.

Do you possibly have a link please or info on how to uninstall this? Thank you

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

I'm logged into my BT account. I can see BT parental controls, it is not activated so I can only click on the learn more option. A site mentions you need to go into "manage my BT parental controls" in order to delete this. When I click on manage, it just takes me back to the front page of my BT account, so it's not exactly user friendly if you cannot manage these options in order to erase the thing 😞

Any ideas anyone reading, thanks.

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 20

NOT AGAIN!

Go to solution

My Relative has just had his Internet BLOCKED (DNS), he uses NON-BT DNS due to miultiple instance of dns.sysip.net interference via YOUR DNS SERVICE(S).

He REQUIRES ACCESS TO HIS E-MAILS!

I strongly suggest you STOP this illegal BLOCKING of THIS ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY!

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Re: NOT AGAIN!

Go to solution
BT are doing nothing illegal your relative needs to delete parental controls from their account to resolve the problem
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

He is unable to delete this "SO CALLED INTERUPTION" .............NO ACCESS or Account Access!

The DNS Service is SUPPOSED TO BE GLOBAL, not at the MERCY of any ONE ISP or GOVERNMENT!

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hopefully I think I may have sorted it.

I activated the parental controls. This then gave me the option of manage. I have set the slider to off and then clicked on where it now showed erase parental controls below. It did say to wait a while for it to be erased.

I can still see BT parental controls showing in my account add ons, with the usual blue activate button.

This is exactly what I have always been shown when I log into my account and I remember erasing this parental thing at least a year or so again, so fingers crossed it stays erased and someone at BT does not turn it on again as they must have done.

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
AND THIS SERVICE HAS NEVER BEEN SWITCHED ON!
0 Ratings