cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 69

Re: BT SMARTTALK the answer to the death of BBTALK? ( Broadband Talk )

Hi ajm03u,

Re: BT SMARTTALK the answer to the death of BBTALK? ( Broadband Talk )   on ‎13-01-2013 15h20

GARRY_AND_SUSIE - Can you talk me through the steps you've taken so far, and the error you are receiving? I'll do my

best to get you up and running.

Hi AJM, thanks for the offer,

But all sorted now, talk through below in case it helps someone else

Android,  Me Garry

installed prog,

used user name on our account which is a name only, not an e-mail address. 

text came in when on the enter code screen so it auto inputted

All worked fine

iPad2 Her, Susie

Installed prog

used same user name as above

Used sim phone number from the one in the iPad thinking it would verify against that

DOH, iPad doesn't receive texts

Swapped sim out into a mobile phone

Failed saying user was already registered

Set up new acct. On "my bt"

Uninstaled and re installed ap on pad

Used her mobile phone number with her sim in the phone, and left iPad sim in iPad 

Authorisation hung up at final stage with "please try again later" hung there all night.

Checked second account on "my bt" and found it had failed

Checked it again today & found the 2nd account on "my bt" was live

Came home & removed and reinstalled app & everything went swimmingly 😉

All sorted now, any plans for a Nokia variant of the program in the future?

Cheers. Garry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 69

@hippey wrote:

There are some users that may have signing up issues for more than one handset, I have had this since the early part of the trial.

Another user can't sign up on my account due to issues with the platform, do report any issues as it may be certain accounts are causing problems!

the normal reason and has already been posted is that the second person has to set up a new BT.com account at MYBT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 53 of 69

@DS wrote:

I've heard nothing since

Ok, now I have. Trial finish date 18/01.

Should others not get 'the' email - you need to uninstall now and reinstall -

To uninstall -

iPhone users – hold your finger on the icon until the icons on your home screen begin to shake or wiggle. Click the "x" in the upper left hand corner of the icon

Android users - settings, applications, manage applications then select the App from the list and click on uninstall

Then visit the App Store or Google Play and search for “BT SmartTalk.”  Once installed, open the app, click ‘I’m at home’ then use your existing MyBT username and password complete the set-up.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Zummerzet
Contributor
Message 54 of 69

@DS wrote:

@DS wrote:

I've heard nothing since

Ok, now I have. Trial finish date 18/01.

Yep, received the same email overnight, too. I was part of the trial, and it worked a treat. Easy to install and set up, and worked when I needed it to. I didn't make too many calls, because I was rarely in a situation where I didn't have an alternative, also-free way of making the call, but when I did use it, it was spot on, and I have uninstalled the trial app and installed the "proper" one from the Apple App Store in readiness for our upcoming foreign holiday Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 55 of 69

For those who can't see the usefulness at home:

'Will wait and see if the app still works later, but I'm not exactly sure what the advantages are of the app if, as BT implies, it works better on the home wifi. Might as well use the home phone at home!

The mobile battery is now totally flat and is on charge.'

It gives you a second line at home (if the blurb is to be believed) land line phone and mobile (same as BB Talk in essence). In my case I now potentiallyhave three lines as I'm still using the Hub Phone (haven't tested this yet!).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 56 of 69

Well yes, but for me (and I suspect plenty of others) BB Talk's primary value is as a second line to receive calls. There's no real call for an extra line out especially if everyone has a mobile with inclusive minutes. BB Talk is also a convenient way to make cheap international calls, though even better prices can be got on a landline if you know where to look.

SmartTalk is a useful tool in itself but it's hardly a replacement for BB Talk.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 57 of 69

@somersetbob wrote:
In my case I now potentiallyhave three lines as I'm still using the Hub Phone (haven't tested this yet!).

You can always set up the sipdroid app on your mobile and take your BBTalk with you too;)

This one allows you to make AND receive calls using your BBT number via a mobile phone:)

BT management didn't actually know this could be done prior to coming up with what's now called SmartTalk.

It's a shame they're doing away with BBT imho:(

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 58 of 69

Still haven't got round to configuring sipdroid though i may try it on an old nokia first, i kept the details from a very old posting!
Perhaps BT will add this capability to SmartTalk at some point.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 59 of 69

@DS wrote:

@somersetbob wrote:
In my case I now potentiallyhave three lines as I'm still using the Hub Phone (haven't tested this yet!).

You can always set up the sipdroid app on your mobile and take your BBTalk with you too;)

This one allows you to make AND receive calls using your BBT number via a mobile phone:)

BT management didn't actually know this could be done prior to coming up with what's now called SmartTalk.

It's a shame they're doing away with BBT imho:(

Agreed,

It gives you one more option of connecting, particularly in Europe, or wherever, and its use is inexpensive on call costs.

When I discussed the ins and outs of ordering the Desire with BT, one of the points mentioned was that apps, such as Sipdroid put a load on the phone battery, (wi fi puts an extra load on the battery) and that was the main reason for not including such apps, as supplied. Logically using the BTSmartTalk app will put the same extra load on the battery.

Keep your battery charged, and download a good app for checking the battery charge status, (even though it will only tell you that the battery is running down, when there's not much you can do about it)!

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 60 of 69

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Keep your battery charged, and download a good app for checking the battery charge status, (even though it will only tell you that the battery is running down, when there's not much you can do about it)! 

A battery charge app is a good idea. So is a portable battery pack if you're likely to run low out and about. I got one from Amazon some time ago; about the size of a smartphone, holds enough to charge the battery 2-3 times (or can be used as an external power source, just over 20 quid.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings