cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 69

BT SMARTTALK the answer to the death of BBTALK? ( Broadband Talk )

Just downloaded BT Smarttalk onto an android device and it seems to work OK, trying to sim swap so it'll work on an iPad & iPod next

Anyone else tried it yet?

68 REPLIES 68
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 69

Re: BT SMARTTALK the answer to the death of BBTALK? ( Broadband Talk )

Quite a number of us have been trialling it, prior to its general release, and have been providing feedback to the development team.

Now that its on public release, we are allowed to discuss it.

The feedback in general, has been quite good, but call quality can be somewhat variable, depending on the type of wifi connection you are connected to.

I am sure you will get plenty of comments by people on this thread.

It should not matter which SIM you use, as its not dependent on the mobile network you are on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 69

This thread may get deleted as another customer mentioned this and it was removed.

(I know as I replied).

I wasn't aware it had actually been released, as the info on the BT website was available some time ago (before the thread was removed)

I may be wrong, but I thought the mobile number does matter as this is the one that the app gives out and not the landline number.

G&S should see what number is in use on theirs by checking their online account

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 69

I wasn't aware it had been launched but there was this http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49241/bt-smarttalk-app-free-calls

0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 69

Yep, think it was  released on Thursday on the play store, very pleased with the performance on Android, yet to get it working on the iPad though as the app is only listed for  iPhone. 

Pad is 3G so hopefully will authenticate against the sim phone number OK but due to the iPad not receiving text messages I think I'll have to swap the sim out into a device that does.

I've tried getting the code sent to another mobile but the authorisation hangs when I input it into the pad.

Trouble is I don't have a apple phone, or one which takes the nano sim format to put it into, currently sitting with a craft knife, an old credit card, and some sandpaper making a sim adapter to use the iPad sim in a normal phone so I can validate against that.

There may of course be something in the prog /service that checks against the IMEI number whic is identifying it as a pad and  not a phone & hence stopping it going any further.  

BT unfortunately have left my beloved Nokias out in the cold on this one again though 😞

Someone brighter than me will no doubt work out how to use it with another piece of software on the Nokia, like they did when they stopped supplying the S620 's

0 Ratings
dgilbert2
Expert
Message 6 of 69

It's now available at the Apple App store and I use it on an iPhone 4 (5.11).

Unfortunately for me, it works fine on wi-fi but not on 3G (t-mobile) as you cannot hear anything through the ear piece.

A real shame as it would be so useful to me if it worked on 3G too 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 69

smarttalk works well and only on wifi not 3g.  charges calls to your bt account so you if your are abroad and can get a wifi connection you can phone home for free if you have anytime call package - 1 hours call limit still applies.  shows your mobile number even though charged to home phone

BBtalk has the advantage of a totally different number and can make and receive calls whereas smarttalk can only make calls

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dgilbert2
Expert
Message 8 of 69

The BT description says it works on wifi or 3G, but wi-fi is best.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 69

@DS wrote:

I wasn't aware it had actually been released, as the info on the BT website was available some time ago (before the thread was removed)

Yes, its fine to talk about it, the field trial has ended Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 69

@dgilbert2 wrote:

The BT description says it works on wifi or 3G, but wi-fi is best.

3g did not work very well in testing but just tried it and connected without a problem and was ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings