cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 61 of 69

Re: BT SMARTTALK the answer to the death of BBTALK? ( Broadband Talk )

@pottyperson wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Keep your battery charged, and download a good app for checking the battery charge status, (even though it will only tell you that the battery is running down, when there's not much you can do about it)! 

A battery charge app is a good idea. So is a portable battery pack if you're likely to run low out and about. I got one from Amazon some time ago; about the size of a smartphone, holds enough to charge the battery 2-3 times (or can be used as an external power source, just over 20 quid.

Thanks, I'll look on the web.

Think I've made it obvious that I'm no longer working. No more contact with tech colleagues, although I still receive the Engg Institute magazines, which occasionally show new Gadgets. BT shop sometimes shows good gadgets, but they don't make enough fuss in promoting them. I only learned about BT SmartTalk by reading the BT Forums.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 69

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@pottyperson wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Keep your battery charged, and download a good app for checking the battery charge status, (even though it will only tell you that the battery is running down, when there's not much you can do about it)! 

A battery charge app is a good idea. So is a portable battery pack if you're likely to run low out and about. I got one from Amazon some time ago; about the size of a smartphone, holds enough to charge the battery 2-3 times (or can be used as an external power source, just over 20 quid.

Thanks, I'll look on the web.

Think I've made it obvious that I'm no longer working. No more contact with tech colleagues, although I still receive the Engg Institute magazines, which occasionally show new Gadgets. BT shop sometimes shows good gadgets, but they don't make enough fuss in promoting them. I only learned about BT SmartTalk by reading the BT Forums.

If you're using an android phone, simply click on the force close option for sipdroid (which does stop incoming calls:() or do the same for BTST* - no additional battery drain;)

Must be doable on iPhones, but never owned one.

*I found smarttalk was a huge drain on my phone:(

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
mikediyboy
Message 63 of 69

Anybody having problems setting up the bt.com login?

i keep getting the message " System problem sorry we can't carry on with your sign-up at the moment. Please try again later"

been like this for 24 hours, multiple tries.

using an phone with Android 2.3.6 and I am At home

mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 64 of 69

have you tried using your pc to set up the MYBT account on BT.com.  this is different to your bt mail sign in

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mikediyboy
Message 65 of 69

Hey, thanks, that worked a treat, now sorted, but still puzzled why app didn't work on the phone....

cheers

mike

0 Ratings
testman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 66 of 69

In my case, one of the surnames used to sign up had an apostrophe.  When I removed this, the signup worked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 67 of 69

@pottyperson wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

This thread is now quite old, but I made progress on your suggestion today. As stated in another post today, the BT Forums are useful in exchanging ideas.

Bought a 6000mAh external battery pack today from a local branch of an electronics supserstore. It saves waiting in the house for delivery from mail ordering, and it costs the same. Delivery times are unpredictable at the moment in the cold weather.

6000mAh should be sufficient to recharge the Desire up to three times from the "low battery" indication. The Desire has a 1400mAh battery.  This helps in the situation of having a flat battery when you go out at a moment's notice.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 68 of 69

The battery pack suggestion arose from fears that the SmartTalk app was markedly heavy on battery usage even if the app was not used. Having had the app installed on my phone for a couple of weeks without use there has been no perceptible effect on the battery, which is not surprising as the app stops running after being idle for about 15 mins. A battery pack is still worth having though.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 69 of 69

@pottyperson wrote:

The battery pack suggestion arose from fears that the SmartTalk app was markedly heavy on battery usage even if the app was not used. Having had the app installed on my phone for a couple of weeks without use there has been no perceptible effect on the battery, which is not surprising as the app stops running after being idle for about 15 mins. A battery pack is still worth having though.

It does the job well enough and keeps the HTC phone and iPod batteries charged.

It was not just for the smart talk app which seems to produce very little drain.

There are many versions of these battery packs available, if you look around, and not only by mail order. 6000mAh seemed to be the best choice, although this may be unsuitable for some newer versions of tablet computers, where 10000mAh may be better.

For the technically minded, a lithium ion battery has a strange characteristic, and on this particular model, the instructions are to recharge when the level is down to 30%. So, if you do the sums, 6000mAh gives 4200mAh useful capacity. 

0 Ratings