cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT Smart Talk - Will not work

Presently in the USA and will be for the next month. I have been using the Smart Talk app with no issue but since Monday last it's stopped working - just will not connect to any numbers I call. I have had messages displayed saying 'problem confirming account restarting might sort this out'. I have done this numerous times without success. I have also removed the app and reinstalled it multiple times without improvement. This is causing me real problems and I have spent many hours trying to sort this out. I have spoken to countless persons about the problem in the UK but always been passed on to India. The issue has been marked as a fault on My BT which is open. It's now Friday PM and still this issue has not been sorted. To say I'm a disgruntled Customer is putting it politely. For some reason I can access My BT online but not. Is the BT app on my I phone 5S. Does this ring any bells with anyone please before I ring disconnections (at additional expense which has already taken place). To rub salt into the wound BT sent me a text requiring 4 answers... you guessed it I was charged 1.60 GBP by my mobile phone company to give them 0 rating for their service so far. Any assistance would be gratefully received.
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Smart Talk not working (cont.)

Despite providing BT's India call centre with my US landline and e-mail they called me multiple times on 20/4 via my mobile (EE) in the USA.  Despite assurances which I repeatedly asked for from the callers I was told the calls would not be charged to me.  Guess what I now have additional charges of 47.00 GBP on top of the original 1.60 reported in my post yesterday showing on my EE mobile account. I am unable to speak to anyone whose first language is English.  Although all are polite and repeatedly say they are sorry for the situation no one is addressing either of the issues.  I have spoken to multiple people this last week in numerous BT departments (cannot pass me on quickly enough).  I have made a complaint - via the BT website.  It's a disgrace that no-one in the UK is looking into this.  I fully intend discussing this with the Communications Ombudsman when I return in June.  Not only has this cost me valuable time it's also very stressful.  Quick enough to take my monthly bill but not to provide any service let alone a good one.  A disgruntled BT customer (telephone, broadband and TV) maybe (probably) not for much longer...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Re: Smart Talk not working (cont.)

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Thank you Keith - much appreciated.  I'm just about at my wits end with Bt and these issues as you will appreciate.  I have been promised a call back from two seperate parts of BT today and tomorrow between 6 and 8 pm UK time (1 and 3 pm US time here).  I will only answer the landline (for obvious reasons or answer e-mails).  Thank you again for your interest - it's very much appreciated.  Been with BT for years btw.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 18

Hi @Shiney Sorry that the Smart Talk service has stopped working for you when you are away in the USA.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

PS please specify the landline or email contact only when you complete the form as another member of the team may pick up the case. 

Thanks
John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Thank you JohnC2 I have done as asked and provided the information requested again.  I now have an enquiry ref # and the associated e-mail states I should receive a response within 48 hours.  For information I still have yet to receive the promised call from the Smart Talk Team (presumably India) - 47 minutes remain until the end of the call period.  Tomorrows call relates to the cahrges made by my mobile provider from calls from BT despite providing a landline e-mail and asking directly whether i would be charged responded to in the negative after answering all calls received.  Everyone very apologetic but no one sorting these issues out...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

@Shiney

I am sure you will get help.

Part of the problem I suspect is due to the fact that you uninstalled then re-installed the app. That generates a new Service ID, and would need to be validated again, which you would not be able to do while abroad.

It would have been best to leave the original validated installation alone, as it was more likely to be a network related problem on the network you were connected to at the time, perhaps blocked ports, or the BT server, and would have sorted itself out on its own.

I did write about this issue on this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/smarttalk-quot-sorry-we-haven-t-been-able-to-setup-your-acc...

And this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-from-BT/Remove-SmartTalk-User/m-p/1643195#M22537

It may be possible for the SmartTalk team to do this from their end, but its probably beyond the scope of the normal helpdesk.

If it does get sorted, and you have future issues, it would be best not to alter the existing installation, and perhaps just restart the phone, or connect to a different network.

0 Ratings
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Thank you Keith.  I only uninstalled the app after being directed to do so.  I alreaddy tried a restart of the app to no avail. four weeks plus without the ability to phone home on a daily basis and keep check on my elderly Mother is beyond belief. As for being 48.60 GBP out of pocket due to BT employees incompetence that's another matter and one I will not drop. I'm still waiting for a promised call from the so called Smart Talk team located God knows where presumably India.  Another day wasted but I am keeping count and will fight to be compensated but hey how do you compensate stress...

Thank you for the links which I will read.  I only have access to one network here.  I don't use roaming or wifi outside.  I don't have the necessary knowledge to go ahead and blindly press on hoping to get something right hence the uninstall at BT's suggestion.  Let's see whether I get a promised call tomorrow between 1 pm - 3 pm (US time) 6 pm - 8 pm (UK time).  I will very likely be leaving BT because of the way I have been treated and if this is not resolved I am going to the Ombudsman.  BT Moderators 'Your India callcentre is a complete and utter waste of time and MY money'.  I could go on and say more but trying to be polite here...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

I was one of the original triallists of BT SmartTalk, and the setup is a bit involved, to protect the account holder.

If you change your phone, or un-install then re-install the app, then the whole validation process has to start again, which would involve having someone to answer your home phone to get the new activation code.

The process as far as I remember, is that once you uninstall the app, you then have to login to MyBT and block the phone, which only really blocks the Service ID, not the phone number.

Then provided that you have allowed new signups, you can then re-install the app using the same BD ID that was originally used.

Somewhere in the process a phone call is automatically made to your home phone number, which has to be answered. An activation code is given which needs to be entered into your phone, difficult if there is nobody at home.

A new Service ID is generated and linked to your mobile number. When you see your bill, you will see both the old and the new Service IDs. A service ID is simply a virtual number which is used to route your call over the BT network.

This can go wrong, and the caller ID is shown as the Service ID, and not the mobile number. There have been a few posts about this on the forum, confusion all around Smiley Wink

There is a guide here.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44028/~/how-do-i-register-bt-smarttalk-on-my-smartpho...

You may have been given bad advice about un-installing the app, or they may have assumed that you were near your home phone.

You can see the difficulty people face with SmartTalk, when it goes wrong and they are abroad Smiley Sad

There have been other posts from people with the same problem.

Its not really an issue with the app itself, its just the way that the setup process works.

I must point out that I am only a BT customer, so what I have written above is based on my own experiences with the product during the trial, and experimenting afterwards with different devices.

0 Ratings
Shiney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Keith i have learned more in the last couple of minutes reading your response than I have learned all week speaking with BT.  Thank you so much!

From the start I made it quite clear where I was ie the USA and not near my UK landline number.  As mentioned I have spoken to many different people regarding this problem and been transferred from one to another in the process.  I took copies of the chats I had on my printer.  I asked for an e-mail of one particular chat to be sent - that was two days ago so I think it's safe to assume it's not being sent.  I have it in writing to uninstall the smart talk app.  I also have it in writing asking them to call me on the US landline or email unless they would guarantee calls on the mobile didn't involve a charge to me.  Despite these requests and information provided they called me on my UK mobile which EE have now billed against me.  I am keeping as much information as I can.  I don't return into the UK until 2 June.

Unfortunately there is no one at home who will be able to obtain a new service ID for me in my absence so it looks like pre paid cards from now on.  That's progress!!

Keith I appreciate you are not a BT employee but you are much more knowledgable on these matters than me.  Thank you again for your input and advice.

0 Ratings