Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 41 of 65

Re: BT Smarttalk security.

@DS wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@DS wrote:

@alan4861050 wrote:

You'll get the option to use Smarttalk even if the App isn't currently running (The Android O/S will start it up in response).

A Menu->Exit option would probably be a good idea.

Do the people developing the App see this forum, or is there some other way of getting feedback to them?

There is a BT rep whom dealt with this with our CL's on their VIP Lounge - maybe he could be asked to post on this open forum;)

It's getting late and I don't want to interfere. Sorry to be butting in.

Nah, it's good to talk:D

The app doesn't start on my Desire unless you tell it to.

Same here, but read on

Press the dialler and there's no choice, you obtain a normal mobile call, even with wifi enabled.

Nope, I get an option

How did I do this?

Start the SmartTalk app. keyboard appears and notification.

Yep, I see this too when I start the app

Close the app on the display (left arrow/search button)., the notification is still there, and presumably the app is still running

And again yep I get this too

Start the normal phone and select own home phone number.

If I select dialler, then all's as expected

I guess based on imj's post, it would start the app if I selected the BTSmartwifi.

Call .

Either method (mobile or app) give out my mobile number, which is fine by me:)

There's no choice it dials a normal mobile call.

As above, I have to manually select an option (which is another key press than before the app)

It will become clearer with practise for me at least.

Phew, thanks!

A pattern is emerging.

The app behaviour varies according to the phone model.

For the record, mine's an HTC Desire, Android version 2.2.2.

The real practical problem is being sure that you either obtain a wifi call or a mobile call. You don't want to make a mobile call from, say, Amsterdam airport to UK. (it's not that expensive, though).

As stated, we are now a long way off topic, but it's an important point.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 65

@ G&S  Thanks for that. Should have worked it out for myself. Smiley Embarassed

@ Ribblelancs  Off topic but at least the thread has managed to reach some respectable conclusions, which is more than can be said for some ancillary services I could mention! Smiley Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 65

DS wrote:snipped

I'm getting odd results:o

After testing this many times, with the app running but not in use, the icon (and the app (13mb file) being checked via 'manage apps' -> 'running services', stops from anywhere from 3 mins to 8m30s.

edit

Ok, just had 15m08s.

edit

now 15m30s

Not sure what's going on here

Having factory reset the hub3 this morning (for another issue), I've repeated the test to see how long it takes for the app to auto close.

After 14m09s the app's icon goes from registered to unregistered (it shows a line through the icon)

Then at 15m11s the app closes completely and the icon is removed.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 65

DS

my about 30min for close down was a guess as I not timed it but knew it was not longer than that.  looks like could be about 15min according to your test - main thing is it does close down if not used

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 65

@imjolly wrote:

DS

my about 30min for close down was a guess as I not timed it but knew it was not longer than that.  looks like could be about 15min according to your test - main thing is it does close down if not used

Yep, looks that way:)

(but is 15 mins additional battery drain acceptable?)

I was basing my previous posts on what the app was doing at the beginning of the trial, so it became a habit for me to always force close it after every use.

Would still be nice to find out why some phones give an option when calling, regardless of the app running, when others don't.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 46 of 65

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the post on this.  Some really good feedback and some good questions.

Let me see if I can get some answers Smiley Happy

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 47 of 65

On my S2 running 4.0.4 you can set the default per user in the contact list as well as general setting from the App itself. Once set you won't get a prompt, useful when voice dialing from the car. You can then choose to dial directly from the app. Seems a reasonable solution.
Haven't time the time-out but it does disappear!
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 48 of 65

@alan4861050 wrote:

Could the Smarttalk app have a PIN or password added to it that would need to be entered before any calls are made?

It seems there's a security flaw in that anyone stealing my phone could use it to make unlimited calls charged to my landline until I went into my account and blocked it.

I'm on a PAYG tarrif, so the liability there is only up to the remaining minutes that I've topped-up but I don't see any limit if the calls are made via Smarttalk.

Also, can the notification icon be removed?

Hi alan4861050,

Thanks for your comments, we have passed them on.

The advice from our BT SmartTalk experts is to use your device security settings to protect all your apps. Your mobile dialler isn’t protected by a separate pin either and at the moment there are no plans to add any extra security settings specifically for BT SmartTalk.

RE battery depletion, the BT SmartTalk team are reviewing this one in more detail. When in the background, the app is dormant, we’re not actively doing anything and so battery should not be significantly impacted. The team are however looking at ways we can improve both the battery consumption, system tray icons, and the ability for a user to exit/close the app.

Stephanie

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 49 of 65

@pottyperson wrote:

I've checked my wife's Xperia and she gets the choices which my Desire does not offer. I too can only surmise that the app's behaviour varies between phones, with HTC being the odd one out.

Got an update about this one too. On Andorid devices we try to offer BT SmartTalk as a choice whenever you make a call on the native dialler. Some devices do behave differently though, and a customer also has the option of setting a default preference in which case they wouldn’t see this prompt.

Stephanie

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 50 of 65

Thanks Stephanie. That explains the discrepancy, which is fairly academic anyway. My problem with having the choice was the danger of using SmartTalk accidentally for calls to mobiles which would be more expensive, but that's been solved by blocking them online. The default option may be useful also (except for HTC phones which seem to default automatically to the native dialler).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings