cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flyin_Tiger
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Virus Protect Crashes my PC

Hi, I’m new to this forum though not to BT and I hope that someone may be able to help. I’m experiencing a problem with BT Virus Protect in which a quick scan appears to complete successfully but a full scan not only will not complete, but crashes my PC with a complete shutdown. Restarting the PC while using Windows 7, resulted in a hard drive check with CHKDSK which showed no issues

I first encountered this about a month ago but suspect this situation has existed since installation of Virus Protect - I’ve just not performed a full scan. Repeated contact with BT and a fruitless attempt to get help from McAfee, has resulted in numerous reinstalls and, since support for Windows 7 is ending, an upgrade to Windows 10. The latest attempt with only Windows 10 and Virus Protect installed resulted in the now expected crash of the PC.

I am at a complete loss and so, it would appear, are BT. Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Virus Protect Crashes my PC

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available also if you have now installed W10, Microsoft's own antivirus, Windows Defender, which is preinstalled on W10 is now getting good reviews so may be worth considering.

If you do want to uninstall BTVirusProtect use this guide and make sure you use the BTVirus Protect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT VirusProtect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

If you do uninstall BT Virus Protect make sure that you install another AV product or activate Windows onboard antivirus.

Flyin_Tiger
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for your swift reply together with your opinion, advice and guides. I’m after peace of mind that my PC is secure but can’t get that with Virus Protect so I think I’ll read a bit further and most likely follow your suggestion and use Windows Defender. Having said that, I do believe that I should be able to use software that BT are keen to promote.

Many thanks once again.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

The BT Virus protect used a lot of processor time, so it probably caused it to overheat and shut down, forcing a reboot.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

I agree that you should be able to use software that is provided but I think you will be far better off not using any software provided by BT but it's your choice whether to or not.

0 Ratings