Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AllanFW
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

BT Virus Protect Issues: Automatic Updates and Slow Scanning Time

Go to solution

I've just installed BT Virus Protect, and I have a couple of issues. The computer is running OK in all other respects:

1. Automatic Updates cannot be disabled- the settings just don't work. When I check "Notify Me When Updates Are Available" and press "Apply", nothing happens- the changes are not saved . Similarly, when I check the "Turn Off" option, nothing happens. So Automatic Updates are permanently on. Any ideas why this isn't working?

2. Running a full scan took forever- I had to leave it running overnight. I tried another scan the following day, and it was just as slow. Kaspersky could scan the same PC in a much more acceptable 2-3 hours. Is it possible to speed up the scan?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
AllanFW
Beginner
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Virus Protect Issues: Automatic Updates and Slow Scanning Time

Go to solution

Update:

I couldn't find a solution to these issues. And in addition, it wasn't possible to do a manual update at all. I had no confidence that BT Virus Protect/McAfee was running properly, so I have now uninstalled it.

Uninstalling proved to be extremely difficult and time-consuming. Uninstalling through Windows Programs And Features didn't fully remove McAfee. I downloaded the official McAfee uninstaller, which removed some more, but still left some remnants. I then ran Ccleaner, which got rid of some more, but again still left some remnants. Finally, I ran Windows Regedit to search for and remove obsolete registry keys linked to McAfee. Thankfully my computer is still running OK after all this.

So overall, BT Virus Protect/McAfee was a very bad experience for me. And as with so many computer-related problems, it's not the money that's the issue- it's the hours of wasted time that I can never get back. I will now look elsewhere for antivirus software. Smiley Mad

0 Ratings