cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spewage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Virus Protect - Mac

I've (had to because the McAfee SW is really not very good) re-installed VP about 10 days ago on my wife's MB Air.  Now it tells me the subscription has expired and real time protection has stopped.

Is this software really this bad?  If I click on the "Verify" button it confirms that my subscription is verified.  And does nothing.  I click on "contact us" and it asks for an email address.   Which one?

Seriously BT - I know you think this is "free" as part of a BB package, but even nothing might possibly be more secure.

Q - How do I get McAfee actually working for more than 30 days?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Virus Protect - Mac

To be honest it isn't needed on a Mac all it'll do is slow it down and is more likely to cause problems than to prevent any.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 3 of 12

If you really feel you need some AV on a Mac, and you don't, then use Malwarebytes. It can be run manually free, or pay a sub. for it to run in the background.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

While I would not recommend BT Virus Protect as a good product I would suggest that you do an Internet search regarding whether or not a MAC needs an antivirus program before following the advice that it is not needed. 

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 5 of 12

Below is a letter posted in a well known Mac mag. this month. It was actually Letter of the Month. 

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

ANTI-VIRUS, ETC

For the last couple of weeks, since I upgraded my Mac to Catalina, I have been bothered by notifications from Security Baron. I could not trace the source, so I rang Apple Support. They were, as they always are, extremely helpful.

I run Norton 360 and CleanMyMac. And MKPlayer for media. I was told that Norton and CleanMyMac were unnecessary, as is MKPlayer. While screen sharing, the support technician instructed me to remove CleanMyMac and MKPlayer. He then got me to install the free version of Malwarebytes and we found what was thought be an adware form malware. 

All three apps are sold as providing useful services, and I was most surprised to hear Apple Support’s rejection of them.

BY A. N. OTHER

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

No surprise there that Apple state their product and security is so good you don't need any AV.

The free version of Malwarebytes is very good but it does not stop your computer from becoming infected, it only cleans out problems after the event.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 7 of 12

@gg30340 "The free version of Malwarebytes is very good but it does not stop your computer from becoming infected,"

no, but the Mac inbuilt protection does, and is as good as anything. NO AV is 100% guaranteed and all AV are at least 24hrs behind the latest threats, and are often used to clean out problems after the event.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Even if AV is 24hrs out of date for any new emerging threat, which presumably will apply equally to Apple's "inbuilt" protection,  they can still detect known threats in real time unlike Malwarbytes Free version.

I fully support that Malwarebytes is a very good product and I have no complaints about the full version but if you are promoting the free version you should explain to the potential user that it does not offer real time protection. They may not be as informed as you.

This is just one of the many reports that Macs while more secure than a PC not running any AV are not immune to Malware or viruses. 

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/can-macs-get-viruses-3454926/

It's up to each user to decide what suits them but they should do it after seeking out independent reviews and assessments and not rely on the sales pitch of Apple.

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Just looked at removal instructions for Macdefender trojan.  Go to applications folder and move it to trash. I kid you not.  

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 10 of 12

@gg30340  Having read that article right through you'll have come to the same conclusion as me - the inbuilt AV on a mac is as good as any.

"It's up to each user to decide what suits them but they should do it after seeking out independent reviews and assessments and not rely on the sales pitch of Apple."

That's why they come on these forums, and a don't think it's in Apples interests to encourage users not to use AV if they really need it.

Anyway I think we both agree that BT Virus Protect is more trouble than it's worth, although there are users on this forum that are quite happy with it.

0 Ratings