cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Virus Protect ¦ Windows Vista Home 32 Bit

Go to solution

Happy New Year 2021, to all.

I have a Vista 32 bit pc, on which I run 'Legacy Software'. It appears that the Providers of Security Software are closing out any OS before Windows 7.
I've had a punt around the WWW, for Free Security Software. Haven't found any yet.
Having read the spec for BT Virus Protect; it appears to support Vista. Whereas McAfee products don't support the OS.
So, my question. How long will 'BT Virus Protect' support VISTA ?

Cheers !WV-HP_32-125.png SinecoalCirph4.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Virus Protect ¦ Windows Vista Home 32 Bit

Go to solution

I tried to install BT virus protect on an old PC some time ago and couldn't, Avast installs OK though.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@COMPANY-PENSIONER ‘

Have You considered updating your OS to Windows 10. It’s now on general release for older Windows versions.

Make sure that you backup your files and folders beforehand, though! And create a full system image.....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

SHARING.

Disappointing replies.
Avast no longer supports any OS lower than windows 7.
As to upgrading to Windows 10.
I have 3-W10 machines already. Pro 64, Home 64 & Home 32.
Alas, none of 'em support 'Legacy Software'.

Might have to delve into LINUX.
A lightweight 'DISTRO' WOULD DO FINE.

Any offers appreciated.Quizzical 2.png SinecoalCirph4.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

You could try running your "Legacy Software"  in "Compatibility Mode" if you were to use Windows 10.

To do that, right click on the program you want to run and select "properties" then "compatibility" and select the version of Windows you want it to run under. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

SHARING ?

The 'Legacy Software' is all CD/DVD.
W10 won't load any of the software, as 'Not Compatible to the OS'.
I'm not willing to find a 'work-around' on a currently supported OS.

Simply, as a last gasp fix, take the machine off-line.

Quizzical 0.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@COMPANY-PENSIONER wrote:

Might have to delve into LINUX.
A lightweight 'DISTRO' WOULD DO FINE.

Any offers appreciated. SinecoalCirph4.

Ubuntu

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Confusing!

You have the full McAfee software on disc? Or is it the free version:  BT Virus Protect?

Update your old pc/laptop to Windows 10,  then install BT Virus Protect on that machine, in accordance with SeanD’s post, which follows yours.

At least you will have some protection.......Better than nothing, or scrapping the machine.....You will also have other options as suggested.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to link back to @SeanD post BT Virus Protect - Withdrawal of support for Windows XP and Windows Vista 

From January 8th 2021, BT Virus Protect will no longer support Windows XP and Windows Vista. 

Microsoft removed support for these older operating systems some time ago so it is recommended you upgrade your operating system to Windows 7 or above.  Once you have done this you can update your BT Virus Protect which may involve you needing to uninstall and reinstall the software from your MyBT account.

Thanks

Paddy

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick post to link back to @SeanD post BT Virus Protect - Withdrawal of support for Windows XP and Windows Vista 
From January 8th 2021, BT Virus Protect will no longer support Windows XP and Windows Vista. 
Microsoft removed support for these older operating systems some time ago so it is recommended you upgrade your operating system to Windows 7 or above.  Once you have done this you can update your BT Virus Protect which may involve you needing to uninstall and reinstall the software from your MyBT account.
Thanks. Paddy

CORRECT ANSWER. THANKS PADDY !Quizzical 1.png

0 Ratings