Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redls
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Virus Protect download

Go to solution

I downloaded this and it never seemed to work properly on IE 11 though on Mozilla, the webadviser symbol was always visible.  Then I noticed my account dashboard was still showing 'download' .  I was advised to uninstall McAffee and redownload ... Though getting that far nearly caused a meltdown because I canot cope with live chat or phone calls, I need time to think through what I want to say.

Since having the redownload McAfee again, when it stopped working,  I was told they had found an unprotected device ... the desktop I was using and had downloaded the programme!  I now find that the 'shortcuts' do not seem to work. 

If I click help I am taken to BT and the vicious circle starts again!  I was advised to use the virtual technician. I did. I got a pop up from McAfee telling me my licence was up for renewal! The 'active' on my account is in faint print the 'subscription' in brighter script.

Sorry to be so long winded but I am trying to cover all the issues. Anyone any idea what is going wrong ?  Can anyone suggest some easy solutions that an amateur can understand?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
DavidM
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Virus Protect download

Go to solution

Welcome back @redls  and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having problems with your Virus Protect. I'll do my best to help out. Are you getting any error messages? can you give us a screen grab of what you're seeing?

Did you use the removal tool? If not see I don't want BT Virus Protect anymore. How do I remove it?

Removing BT Virus Protect from a PC

1. Go to Start Control Panel Programs. Use Add or Remove Program to remove BT Virus Protect from your program list. Select BT Virus Protect from the list and click Change/Remove
  2. On the next screen, select both the "BT Virus Protect" and "SiteAdvisor" check boxes and then click Remove
  3. Once the software has been removed, click on Restart now to restart your PC
  4. Once your PC's finished restarting, you'll need to run the BT Virus Protect removal tool to remove all traces of it. Download it at https://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe >
  5. Click on Run to run it there and then. Or you can save the file to your computer and run it from there by double-clicking on it. You might be asked for your computer's administrator password before you can launch it
  6. Once launched, follow the on-screen instructions
  7. When it's finished, you'll need to restart your computer again

Removing BT Virus Protect from a Mac

1. Click Go from the "Finder" window and select Applications
  2. Find "McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller" in the list and double click on it
  3. Tick the box beside "Uninstall Site Advisor"
  4. Click Continue
  5. Enter your admin password and click OK
  6. Once the program shows that BT Virus Protect is uninstalled Click Finish

You've mentioned a problem with your licence. Does this help.

Here's how to manage your licences

• Once you've logged into My BT, scroll down and click on the Manage your extras button

Click Manage your extras button

• Click on the "BT Virus Protect" icon under the "Your smarter broadband extras" section

Click BT Virus Protect

• Click on the "Manage BT Virus Protect" link within the "BT Virus Protect" section 

Click Manage BT Virus Protect link

• Click the tab showing the computer you want to deselect. Each licence will have a tab

Select computer

1. Click Deactivate. By deactivating you're freeing up a licence so that you can install BT Virus Protect on a new PC or Mac

Click deactivate

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

This is what confuses me with BT when I follow DavdM's instructions my screen is nothing like the example shown, the extra's are there but nowhere can I get to my licenses to see what I have or not.  I only use Web Protect is the only extra I use, so is that why it does not show any licenses.  I have clicked on every option with no joy.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @SpottyDog  and welcom to the thread.

Are you able to access everything else on your MyBT? Can you post a screen grab of what you're seeing?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
redls
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

OK Dave ...

Once again, I have uninstalled everything as per the given instructions ... This is the fourth time!

Once again I have downloaded McAfee again ... gone through the whole process of setting up all the schedules and everything on the McAfee/BTVirus Protect 'dashboard' ... forget the correct term.

Returned to the My BT dashboard ... clicked on  manage my extras, clicked on Manage  BT Virus Protect ... scrolled down My Security Settings to BT Virus Protect and there STILL is the purple Download box!  Nothing about licences etc!

At the moment, all the features of the McAfee dashboard, shortcuts etc are working ... except McAfee Webadvisor ...still no two coloured McAfee symbol on IE 11 (I am on Windows 7 on the desktop), not checked Firefox yet ... it did appear beside the tabs there before it stopped working.

Hopefully it will continue to work .... This time!

Thanks for the step by step instructions ... Managed to follow them without too much stress.

If there are no more replies from me,  the progra\mme is working acceptably.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi David

It will not let me post my screen grab, I've tried but to no avail, as I only use BT Web Protect I think !!! I'll carry on with that  and MS windows defender.

Thanks

0 Ratings
redls
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I'm beginning to think that might be the best option for me too, SpottyDog.

I thought things were actually working properly, and marked Dave's advice as acceptable solution. Now I find the scans schedules for today never started and the time of the 'next scan' bore no resemblance to the time I had decided on  .... not only that but the time kept changing! It also wanted me to install an update that Windows had already updated!

0 Ratings