Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Virus Protect expiry pop ups

Go to solution

I'm in the middle of an 18 month broadband contract but yesterday a pop up appeared advising my BT Virus Protect is due to expire in 5 days, and today another advised that it will expire in 4 days.

My McAfee account details show that I am running VirusScan version: 21.4, build: 21.4.146, engine version: 3716.0.
It states that the engine creation date is 22/5/2019, and it was last updated on 8/5/2019.

I haven't made any changes to the settings and updates are done automatically. 

Has anyone else encountered this before, and if so, what action (if any) did you take ?

I suppose that I can always download  it again if necessary if it does expire, or contact BT. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Virus Protect expiry pop ups

Go to solution

If you search the forum you will find other threads regarding this.

This is one such thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/MCcafee-says-it-will-expire-in-3-days/td-p...

0 Ratings
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks. I have seen some of those threads before. There appears to be a common problem where people are getting a 15 day warning of expiry notification together with an option to renew their subsciption.

However, the pop up that I am getting is different because I've only received a 5 day warning of expiry and there is no option to renew the subscription either. Moreover, McAfee successfully verifies my subscription when I ask it to check.  

Considering that the last VirusScan update is shown as occuring on 8/5/2019,  it seems strange that the VirusScan engine creation date is shown as 22/5/2019.  Surely the VirusScan engine can only be changed as part of an update therefore the two dates should coincide ?

I guess that I'll just have to wait and see what happens when the expiry date is reached. 

0 Ratings
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

For anyone interested in the outcome of this fiasco. The expiry date warning was reached yesterday but nothing happened. I confirmed my subscription again today and it is still valid and working.

The cause of the expiry warning is a complete mystery and I can only guess that it may have somehow been generated in error following the automatic McAfee engine update of 22/5/2019.

0 Ratings