Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 40

BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10

Go to solution

For the last week while browsing using Google Chrome the browser completely freezes unable to open new tabs or refresh existing ones. This happens also with IE11 and Edge, eventually nothing will open on computer and the computer completely freezes. The problem seems to be overload of the memory and cuts out the internet connection then eventually the whole system. After researching online I have discovered this Mcafee thread on their community support page,

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/97010?start=0&tstart=0

The symptoms explained on this forums thread is exactly what I have been experiencing. Can any other Bt customer using BT Virus Protect confirm they are having the same problem and can anyone from BT confirm they know about this and when we can expect the fix Mcafee have issued via an update as detailed in the thread.

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee. It can and often does cause problems on some computers as well as being a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see previous problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

If you do want to use BT Netprotect/McAfee, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 40

Go to solution
Thanks gg30340 for your reply and advice. If you looked at the link I posted from Mcafee you'll see its effecting a lot of people with Mcafee software and un installing creates more issues with this particular problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 40

Go to solution

I am sorry if the information I posted didn't help and may have inadvertently caused you more issues.

I have to say I did not look at the link mainly because I do not rate McAfee and I had no interest in reading about yet another problem with it. Problems seem to be the only thing that McAfee consistently out performs other AV products in.

If uninstalling it causes more issues it just confirms my belief that nobody should contemplate installing McAfee or any re-badged derivative of it. 

I hope you find a solution. 

0 Ratings
johnctemple
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 40

Go to solution

Many thanks for the advice. I have done as you suggested, removing McAfee and going with Avast. Avast then wanted me to pay £1.50 a month for their premium service-is that worth it? I havent done that just yet. I will see how my browsing goes and report back.

I use google chrome and mozilla.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 40

Go to solution

I use the free version of Avast and I have found it very good. It is up to you if you want to upgrade but I have found that the free version more than meets my needs.

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 40

Go to solution

Hey gg30340, thanks for your advice with regard to the reliability of McAfee over other software, each to their own I guess. I have used McAfee for the last 10 years without any problem to my knowledge. I have carried out the temporary fix suggested on the McAfee forum which seems to have fixed the problem until an update is released. Any feedback direct from BT would be appreciated though. 

0 Ratings
jaymorley
Contributor
Message 8 of 40

Go to solution

Wish I'd found this thread before I went about trying to uninstall McAfee. 

Been using McAfee for as long as I can remember and it's been faultless however it's turned into a complete nightmare. I found info re using their removal tool however it's now left me stuck without any protection and unable to activate Defender.

I'll try some of the free versions mentioned on here however it'll make me think twice about using McAfee again in the future. 

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 40

Go to solution

Hey Jay, I know its a massively annoying bug. Just FYI the temporary fix of disabling the Analystics as mentioned in the McAfee thread I posted does work and has no issue with security until a permanent fix is issued. There is also advice on how to remove McAfee with this memory leak issue.

0 Ratings
OldBootneck
Message 10 of 40

Go to solution

I had this Windows 10 freezing problem a couple of days ago. It eventually affected everything, including email. Finally managed to uninstall BT Virus Protect myself as, as a single computer user, I had no access to the internet to get into contact with Mcafee or BT.

No comment anywhere that I can see from BT - this is not good and needs to be addressed.

I wonder how many oldies are still struggling with this (and probably paying for advice to get out of the mes).

0 Ratings