Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10

Go to solution

Never heard from BT yesterday afternoon as informed by there helpline a couple of days prior. Very dissapointing how BT never comment or supply advice on these forums.

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 40

Go to solution

Heard from BT today after chasing them up last night. Sorry to say they where worse than useless with their advice, although I described to them in detail what the problem was, all they heard is that my browser freezes. Despite my efforts to get through to them describing the problem, their advice was to un-install then re-install the BT Virus Protect software. A dissapointing result for waiting around for 4 hours waiting for them to call.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 23 of 40

Go to solution

Don't know it this will help but I was also getting the internet connection freezing and on digging about as has been spoken about in this thread it was down to the McAfee antivirus.

I resolved the issue by opening up BT Virus Protect (McAfee) and clicking on Manage Security and then 'Check for updates and view settings' the 'Check for Updates'. It then found updates for McAfee and went through he process of installing them etc.

Since then I have not had a problem. May have just been a coincidence of course but thought I would mention it.

0 Ratings
jodiesmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10 (Windows 8) MODS HELP PLEASE

Go to solution

I removed then it fails to reinstall, keep getting calls to solve it but nothing has worked yet! Awaiting another call this evening.
Time spent on this has achieved diddly squat. I'm still waiting..........

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10 (Windows 8) MODS HELP PLEASE

Go to solution

Am I missing something here. Why is everybody wasting so much time on BT Protect? Just delete it, install a decent free AV and move on.

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 40

Go to solution
Hello billcubbon, could you please confirm when you say your internet connection was freezing, was it just the internet on your browser or did your whole system eventually freeze and your computer became unresponsive? Many thanks
0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 40

Go to solution
If you read about the problem, you'll see that some people are unable to un-install it succesfully because of the problem itself. GURU
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 40

Go to solution

I did and you posted the correct method of removal.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 29 of 40

Go to solution

BT Protect apart from being a resource hog is quite problematic on quite a lot of peoples PCs.  Not too long ago even John MacAfee publicly disavowed the software, saying in the years since he sold the company the customer complaints rocketed.  So please yourselves, use what ever AV you like but there are other free ones available that perform much better.  The uninstall info has been posted previously so no point in repeating.

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 40

Go to solution

jodiesmum, sorry to hear your still trying to overcome the uninstall problem. Just had a thought, if your able to check see if the Analytics part of the McAfee software is still on your system from the file explorer.

McAfee file location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics

Seeing as it is this program that as caused the problem it may have been left behind during the uninstall process if it was not disabled prior to uninstallation as I found it freezes completely unless the system is cold restarted. If it is there maybe just delete it there and then.

0 Ratings