cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liam_
Expert
Message 31 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10 (Windows 8) MODS HELP PLEASE

Go to solution

If the uninstall/removal tool has not removed all the components then the only solution is to boot into safe mode, delete all the folders relating to the software then either use registry cleaning software or manually edit the registry to delete the references there.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 32 of 40

Re: BT Virus Protect freezing internet connection on Windows 10 (Windows 8) MODS HELP PLEASE

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and bringing this to our attention.  From the feedback you have provided we reached out to McAfee and I am happy to update you with the following.

McAfee Intel Security have deployed a patch to fix the issue last night (6th March), which is being rolled out as I type, to all clients as part of routine updates. In the meantime, to install the fix without having to wait for the scheduled update, you can click in “McAfee Updates” and then click “Check for updates” which should download and install the fix. This may take a few minutes and may require a reboot of your computer.

We'd like to thank everyone for their patience and support.  We take online safety very seriously at BT and to find out more about all our security products that come with BT Broadband, visit www.bt.com/virus-protect.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 40

Go to solution

Hi SeanD,

Thank you for the reassuring update that BT are now aware of the problem and a fix is actually being rolled out. However I can confirm as of today 8/3/17 18:40hrs that I have not received the update. I clicked "Check for updates" and I am informed my software is upto date. As its now 2 days since you where informed the update was rolling out should it be taking this long? Many thanks

0 Ratings
Biggestted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 40

Go to solution

Hey SeanD,

Just run "Check for updates" again and can CONFIRM my BT Virus Protect as just updated to the fixed version update. The ClientAnalyticsService as turned itself back on to Manual and the file version is 2.1.173.0 which is the same version the McAfee forum users are reporting back as stable and working since the 25th February.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 35 of 40

Go to solution

Hi @Biggestted,

Thanks for confirming.  I am really pleased that the update has fixed the issue.  Thanks again for coming to our community to report this Smiley Wink

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 36 of 40

Go to solution

For the vast majority of users just using Windows 10's built in security is sufficient. This includes anti-virus (Windows Defender), a firewall, UAC and Windows Smart Screen. They're lightweight and don't impose much of a load on the system. They're free with Windows. Remember it is in the interest of alternative suppliers to suggest that they're hugely better than Windows's own built-in security.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 40

Go to solution

Each to their own but Windows 10 built in antivirus (Windows Defender) consistantly performs poorly in independent reviews about antivirus. It is rated as base level protection, which is just above having no protection.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 38 of 40

Go to solution

Please read what I've said:

"For the vast majority of users just using Windows 10's built in security is sufficient." And I stick by that. I also said that other suppliers will always rubbish a built in "free" product.

The following puts Microsoft at roughly the same level as McAfee (BT Protect):

www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/avc_prot_2016b_en.pdf

It is complete scaremongering to suggest that using it is "just above having no protection" and typical of the AV industry that's very much in the scaremongering business. Perhaps forum users who are worried should just check www.getsafeonline.org as this has some sound advice.

A quick PS. We should all be using two-factor authentication. Why doesn't BT make this available for our emails?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 40

Go to solution

Please read what I've said:

"Each to their own but Windows 10 built in antivirus (Windows Defender) consistently performs poorly in independent reviews about antivirus. It is rated as base level protection, which is just above having no protection" and I stick by that.

You will note I said that it was independent reviews. I did not say anything about other suppliers rubbishing it.

"The following puts Microsoft at roughly the same level as McAfee (BT Protect):"   I don't think 15th out of 16 is anything to boast about.

Other independent reviews/tests put it 8th out of 10, 9th out of 10, not in the top 10 etc etc.

Having said that, if you are happy using it just carry on and don't let me put you or anybody else of using it.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 40 of 40

Go to solution

Just to add to this thread. The following article by Jack Schofield in the Guardian suggest going with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) in the latest version of Windows 10.

www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2017/apr/13/how-should-i-protect-my-windows-pc-from-malware-a...

He quotes a tweet from a Google Chrome security expert Justin Schuh "Browser makers don't complain about Microsoft Defender because we have tons of empirical data showing that it's the only well behaved AV." Jack Schofield confirms that Windows Defender may not do the most good, in protecting you from malware, but it does the least harm.

It confirms the gist of what I've said and resolves the issue of using McAfee (BT Virus Protect).

0 Ratings