cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirbyan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Virus Protect on Mac stops network printing (and other Bonjour based stuff)

Since installing BT Virus Protect on my Mac, running OS X 10.11.6 I've noticed that some things have stopped working.

The first thing I noticed was that I was unable to print over the network to a USB printer connected to my TimeCapsule / AirPort.  

Disabling the firewall in BT Virus Protect seems to solve this. 

A little further investigation and the BT Virus protect Firewall seems to block Bonjour services so I also can't see other things on the network, like the TimeCapsule file share. 

The file share can be accessed by using Finder...Go... smb://192.168.1.xx/ but the printing refuses to work at all.

This all seems to be fixed by disabling the BT Virus Protect firewall and relying on the built in Apple firewall in OS X. 

Anyway - personally I'm going to be uninstalling BT Virus protect as it seems to cause other problems with OS X 10.11.6 such as completely crashing the system during a full scan. Manually scanning the same disk attached to a system running OS X 10.12 reveals no issues.

This product seems very far from the Mac ethos of "it just works" and I won't be recommending it to family and friends.   

Andy

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Virus Protect on Mac stops network printing (and other Bonjour based stuff)

Macs', at the moment, do not need Anti Virus software. There's enough built in for what threats there are. Best thing, as you say, is to completely uninstall it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Virus Protect on Mac stops network printing (and other Bonjour based stuff)

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

0 Ratings
Highlighted
aphid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

To add to the issues you describe, BT Virus Protect also blocks Airplay. While chatting with Apple support to find the cause they identified BT VP as the culprit. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of disabling it. Once I did a full uninstall, Airplay worked perfectly once again on my iMac. Full marks to Apple support. 

The annoying thing for me is that, when I contacted them, BT knew of this issue and yet are promoting BT Virus Protect in spite of the OS conflict. Furthermore, McAfee refused to help when I contacted them directly. Said I had to contact BT.

Begs a few questions, like what are BT/McAfee doling to resolve the issue and why is there no warning that there are known issues?

0 Ratings