cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 34

Re: BT Virus Protect switch from McAfee to Norton. iPad Air 3 IOS 15.2.1.

Go to solution

@Geoph wrote:

Why is there never any response from BT to this conversation? Do they realise they have dropped off and hope it will go away and blow customer satisfaction! Unfortunately it appears customers don’t matter.

It is because this is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks, gg30340, but please have another look.

Did the old BT Virus protect have some iOS software provided by McAfee? If so then surely it will lose its licence and need to be uninstalled. If not then why did the BT publicity about the switch not make it clear that iOS devices were unaffected?

It is true that IOS devices (at least those that have not been jailbroken) are a lot more secure than other phone or tablets and than nearly all computers. BUT they are not 100% secure against exploits* and though the risk is lower it can still be reduced by adding good protective software. 

Norton 360 appears to include options to protect iOS devices and the Norton Mobile Security product for iOS includes some protections against "social engineering" attacks that are still relevant however secure the system. You quoted pundits who don't believe their iOS devices need any protection; there are plenty more who say much the same about MacOS - all of them are confusing "less vulnerable" with "invulnerable". Do you personally endorse what they say and would you take any personal responsibility for it?

*I would quote the infamous Pegasus malware that successfully attacked hundreds of iPhones, but I'm not sure that anyone's anti-malware product would have stopped it. It's difficult, but not impossible to get a Trojan installed in iOS and that system has better protection between apps, but damaging exploits are still possible and maybe one should be careful about bad actors who use the "no need to protect" iOS devices as a gateway to less secure systems. (Macs are not vulnerable to Windows malware, but can pass it on. Good Mac anti-virus products detect Windows as well as for MacOS malware.)

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 34

Go to solution

@gregprog wrote:

Thanks, gg30340, but please have another look.

Did the old BT Virus protect have some iOS software provided by McAfee? If so then surely it will lose its licence and need to be uninstalled. If not then why did the BT publicity about the switch not make it clear that iOS devices were unaffected? No idea nor do I care. I don't use Apple devices nor any of BT's add on products.

It is true that IOS devices (at least those that have not been jailbroken) are a lot more secure than other phone or tablets and than nearly all computers. BUT they are not 100% secure against exploits* and though the risk is lower it can still be reduced by adding good protective software. I never said that Apple devices were 100% secure. I am well aware of Apple's vulnerabilities and have posted about them previously on this forum.  I posted some links and advised users to take responsibility for themselves by doing an Internet search so that they could educate themselves and make up their own mind if what the moderator had said was a valid reason not to have AV on Apple devices.

Norton 360 appears to include options to protect iOS devices and the Norton Mobile Security product for iOS includes some protections against "social engineering" attacks that are still relevant however secure the system. You quoted pundits who don't believe their iOS devices need any protection; there are plenty more who say much the same about MacOS - all of them are confusing "less vulnerable" with "invulnerable". Do you personally endorse what they say and would you take any personal responsibility for it? My personal views of Apple devices and Apple in general are just that. MY personal views and none of your business and as per my previous answer  I posted some links so that people could educate themselves and make up their own mind if what the moderator had said was a valid reason not to have AV on Apple devices.

*I would quote the infamous Pegasus malware that successfully attacked hundreds of iPhones, but I'm not sure that anyone's anti-malware product would have stopped it. It's difficult, but not impossible to get a Trojan installed in iOS and that system has better protection between apps, but damaging exploits are still possible and maybe one should be careful about bad actors who use the "no need to protect" iOS devices as a gateway to less secure systems. (Macs are not vulnerable to Windows malware, but can pass it on. Good Mac anti-virus products detect Windows as well as for MacOS malware.)

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 34

Go to solution

My basic point was, I thought by signing up to BT Broadband with BT Virus Protect I was protected with all my devices. Now I am not, or even was not before. It would be good if BT could provide a iOS option or make a clear, approved / certified, recommendation.

0 Ratings