Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Virus Protect

Help! I'm trying to install BT Virus Protect onto my laptop.

I download it, then restart my computer like it asks, but nothing. I've tried opening straight from my downloads folder, but it just takes me through the steps i've already done. It says after the computer has been restarted it will install itself, but it's not doing anything once it has restarted. Help!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Virus Protect

Forgot to say, i've already uninstalled all Mcafee products using the link from their website & have no other anti-virus software installed

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Ok so you don't have any other AV software installed now but have you had in the past? its possible that remnants from a previous AV are interfering with your attempts to install BT Protect, the same could be said of Windows defender.

0 Ratings
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the quick reply  :-)  Yes, I have had others installed in the past. How would I go about completely wiping them from my laptop? I also have Windows Defender, which I forgot I had

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Like McAfee, some vendors make an uninstall program available for download from their website but be advised that these supplement the native uninstaller they do not replace it.

Try turning Windows Defender off first, it could save you a lot of wasted time and effort

0 Ratings
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thank you, i'll try that first

0 Ratings
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

I turned off Windows Defender & tried again, but no good. I then tried the Norton Uninstaller, as I used to use Norton's protector, & tried again but nothing. It's just fustrating that I'm sat here waiting for it to kick in after the download & restart  :-/

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Try McAfee's MCPR tool again, it could be that the failed attempts to install BT Protect have created registry entries that are interfering with further install attempts.
0 Ratings
cornishbex
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Still having no luck  :-/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

My advice and that of others on the forum would be not to use BTVirus Protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free and even Microsoft's Windows Defender while not the best is OK.

If you do want to continue trying to install BTVirus Protect you could try starting your computer in safe mode with networking and then running the installer directly from your download folder.

Meanwhile you should ensure that Windows Defender is running on your computer until you decide what you are going to do. When you try to install another AV product the AV product will turn off Defender so that it does not interfere with your new product so you do not need to uninstall it.

0 Ratings