Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpottyDog
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Virus Protect

Go to solution

On MYBT dashboard it keeps offering me to get BT Virus Protect, but when I go to my inclusive extras page and look at system requirements for that extra you get the following.

Compatible operating systems
Windows XP (32-bit only) with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher
Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
Windows 8 and 8.1 (32 and 64-bit)

If this is correct it would appear its not compatible for Windows 10 or is it a case of BT not updating the information on that page.

Apart from that is it any good anyway.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Virus Protect

Go to solution

You could try Avast, a free antivirus program that works with Windows 10.  It's less of a drain on your system resources than the McAfee software.  Search for  Avast windows 10  and it should be the first link on the page.  Many users have only good things to say about it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@SpottyDog wrote:

On MYBT dashboard it keeps offering me to get BT Virus Protect, but when I go to my inclusive extras page and look at system requirements for that extra you get the following.

Compatible operating systems
Windows XP (32-bit only) with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher
Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
Windows 8 and 8.1 (32 and 64-bit)

If this is correct it would appear its not compatible for Windows 10 or is it a case of BT not updating the information on that page.

Apart from that is it any good anyway.

BT Virus Protect is compatible with Windows 10, but as posted by @liam, it will use your pc's resources. You may need a pc with a high specification.

Have seen the McAfee version (not BT McAfee version) in operation on a Windows 10 desktop with the Fall Update installed., using IE11. It doesn't appear to increase the startup time, but there's some background activity during updates, which is just noticeable.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I actually don't fully understand it, but I switched to Mac almost 10 years ago and have never needed Virus software ! Even for Windows it's largely Snake Oil IMHO , people undertand the risks better these days.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Your argument has some merit, up to a point.  Even when you know exactly what you are doing online there can still be the instance of malware having been placed on a legitimate web site and/or a legitimate file has been infected.  Then you visit that site and it gets downloaded onto your PC or whatever.  No AV in this scenario means no protection.  However the choice is yours.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

the only real solution is to have a backup, which you need any way. That's one of the things that annoyed me about Windows was the hassle of re-installing, Mac has fool proof time machine and no bother with license codes or what ever.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I agree with the back up being essential.  I have images of all the PCs and laptops.  Recovery is a matter of about 5 minutes work.  However if you have been infected with something did it manage to upload your PPI before you discovered it?

Only way to prevent that is not to have any personal information on the device, as in no name, address, bank details, CV, etc.  How many people have their entire life on their device?  The vast majority need some form of protection.  A good AV/Firewall is more of a necessity than a gimmick.

0 Ratings