cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: BT Virus Protect.

Go to solution

@newagetraveller Thanks for posting and welcome to the BT.com community forums. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team if you'd like our help getting this sorted.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

BT Virus useless never updates or needs constant verification which also soes not work. Uninstalled  and reinstalled several times.

0 Ratings
newagetraveller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

There should be the option to remove the "active" devices or even the de-activated ones to enable a from scratch start. I requested this when I phoned but that must be missing from the offshore script.  It is now working on a desktop p.c. but for how long, who knows? Strangely enough that p.c. is showing as Deactivated when it patently isn't! There will, no doubt, be a message warning that there are "x" days to renew and then it will stop working - again.

I don't see how a "mod" can fix the problem

0 Ratings
newagetraveller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

As expected, it doesn't work, yet again on one of the two activated p.c.s.

Three devices are in my account. One deactivated and two activated.

One is still working. When installing, or trying to, on the second of the two activated devices, it fails when I enter the supplied serial number. a message states that I am using all my licences. Yes, all two, but only one works. Of course I am given the option to buy more. No, I have two as part of my broadband and wish to use two. I can only, so it seems, only use one!

It would be so simple to start from scratch with no devices in my account. Then install to the two I require. The problem seems to be McAfee, that's where eveything is done and a BT customer has no control to delete devices and start again.

0 Ratings
newagetraveller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution
Now there are no devices in my account!
It really is a poor reflection on BT who choose to use this flawed McAfee antivirus.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

The advice you're most likely to get from other users here is simply to give up on it and use one of a number of free alternative AVs which are superior to McAfee, which has been poorly rated for years. For what it's worth, for the last decade or more I've used Windows Defender, supplemented with an occasional scan by the free version of Malwarebytes, without issues.

If you do decide to ditch McAfee, make sure to remove all traces of it with the removal tool.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.