cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianflack
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Virus protect or McAfee has it changed?

Go to solution

Windows10 and BT Broadband. I had got BT Virus protect which correct me if I am wrong is McAfee and is packaged as an extra with BT Broadband. Last week my 7 year old computer packed in and I bought a new one. Whilst restoring all my files from backups to the new machine, the internet was not one of the recovery problems as it loaded normally. 

However, unless I am imagining things, the McAfee (or BT Virus Protect) has changed to something called McAfee Security Plus, which is inviting me to go for a better version of McAfee for an anuual subscription. Of course it claims I have a problem which needs fixing and says I can only fix it if I upgrade to a paid for version of McAfee.

1. When I got BT Virus protect (McAfee) added free to the broadband, was it for a finite period i.e. 1 year or something?

2. Is McAfee Security Plus the name of the BT supplied McAfee package?

3. How do I download the BT McAfee again, which might hopefully replace the one I have.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Virus protect or McAfee has it changed?

Go to solution

Is it possible that you have activated a trial McAfee product that came with your computer?

If so, you will need to uninstall it and download and install the BT version. 

You uninstall McAfee in the same way as you would uninstall any programe on your computer. After you have uninstalled it you need run the McAfee removal tool.

See link

Removal Tool

0 Ratings
brianflack
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you, I think you must be right. I have uninstalled whatever McAfee product appeared on my new machine, and downloaded  the BT Virus protect version of McAfee. I now have the BT icon showing. If I try the McAfee removal tool will that remove my BT Virus protect?  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

The removal tool should have been used after you uninstalled the trial version of McAfee and before you installed the BT version however if it all appears to be working OK now I would not bother using it because it will cause problems with your BT version.

0 Ratings