cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT-WIFI-X and EE-WIFI-X

Go to solution

Same reply for me too.

That’s the end of the road for BT Wifi me.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

I removed the BT WIFI app from my ipad and tried to connect to the EE WIFI at home. It took me to the EE WIFI landing log in page. I selected BT BB customer and logged in OK. Just to test I connected to my private wifi and then back to EE WIFI and it connected the second time without asking for log in details.

Haven't checked this with a BT WIFI Hotspot yet.

Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

Hi,

So the confusing thing for me is …..

Whatever SIM you had in an iPhone/ Android or iPad etc - so long as you installed the ‘BT WI-FI APP’ & added your BT BB credentials plus installed the ‘profile’ ( but profile not necessary unless for added security for BT WI-FI-X ) 

Then, your devices would auto connect to any BT-WI-FI hotspots…

… however, now it seems - they are moving to EAS-SIM authentication….. ( like 02 have done for a while )

Which implies if you have a BT / EE SIM in your phone/ tablet - then it will auto connect to BT-WI-FI / EE-WI-FI…. ( without need for BT APP… ( so can remove it ? )

I guess the BT APP still works for some right now - either because its in combination with valid EE / BT SIM - or - because it will still work with BT-WI-FI hotspots - but these are fast being removed - 

So, assume the BT APP is not useful - am I correct ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

In my post #17 above it states that BT/EE WiFi-X is now only available for BT staff, so no longer used for public access.

BT/EE WiFi is the public WiFi and you can login by 1 of the following:

1. Install the BT WiFi app which will log you in automatically 
  2. Log in manually and as @Addy @in post #22 says it then remembers  your login and you are then logged in automatically. I’ve tried this and it works with both BT/EE WiFi

With EE WiFi-Auto if you have an iPhone with a BT/EE SIM then you are logged in automatically. See here for full login details.

I can only confirm what happens with an iPhone and BT SIM. So if others can please confirm what happens with other phones and SIM combinations.

Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

Okay, thank you

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

So you might find this interesting...

I have an Android phone with an EE pay monthly SIM. Just EE mobile, not EE broadband. I do have a BT broadband too, so am not sure if this makes a difference.

Currently, I can connect to EE WiFi-X with either EAP-SIM authentication (mostly), or via modifying the mobileconfig configuration file from the BTWifi-X app (I did this before they removed this feature in the iOS app, via these instructions: https://neilalexander.dev/2017/02/27/bt-wifi)

In the case of EAP-SIM, all I did was just choose the EE WiFi-X network on my Android phone, manually set the EAP type to SIM, and then hit connect. This worked fine for roughly half the hotspots I tried to connect to, but didn't for the rest. I believe this is the same for the old BTWifi-X network, where it is hit-and-miss as to whether SIM authentication works (see this post: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices/Connecting-to-BTWifi-X-with-EE-sim/td-p/1274489)

In the case of using the mobileconfig file, I just simply re-edited it to change the network name from BTWifi-X to EE WiFi-X, and was successfully able to connect to EE WiFi-X without a SIM card. Furthermore, this method seemed more reliable than the EAP-SIM method as it has currently worked on all BTWifi-X/EE WiFi-X hotspots that I have tried it on. So clearly it looks like, as of today, they haven't removed the old RADIUS servers that were originally used to authenticate to BTWifi-X from EE WiFi-X. I don't know if this will change at some point in the near future, and it might be that they will eventually remove EE WiFi-X completely (see @David500 's post).

Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

BT WiFi -x is being withdrawn and we WiFi replacing it. Ee WiFi X is basically the old BT WiFi x network but is now for engineer use not public. Meaning no one but an engineer can use it. For some reason when withdrawing BT WiFi x turning the signal off altogether seemed to difficult so it has been re secured for engineer use . Hope that helps 

0 Ratings