Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

BT Web Protect / McAfee Livesafe

Go to solution

Since having to reset my PC, McAfee Livesafe has taken the place of BT Web Protect on my PC saying it's on a months trial.  When I look at my BT Extra's it still says that BT Web Protect is still set to ON.  Do I need to be concerned at all.  When the months trial ends will every think go back to Web Protect like it has always been.

It still tells me all is secure.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Web Protect / McAfee Livesafe

Go to solution

If you factory restored your PC it is most likely that the McAfee product came as a trial with the PC and it will have nothing to do with the BT product. 

SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi gg30340

Thanks.  No,  I did not do the full factory reset, I did the one that keeps your files but deletes all your downloaded apps, I probably click on something when trying to reload all my apps.  If I was to uninstall this Livesafe trial app would BT Web Protect automatically take over the same as if I let this trial version lapse, because I've always been happy with the BT version.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Is the BT Virus Protect actually installed on your computer, can you find it on the computer?

It will show as being activated on your MyBT extras because you have activated that "extra" but it does not necessarily mean it is actually running on a computer.

If it were me I would uninstall the McAfee version but I suspect that because you will have to run the McAfee removal tool to ensure all traces have been removed it will possibly uninstall the BT version at the same time if indeed the BT version is installed on your computer.

I assume you are using W10 if you are talking about apps and if so, if the McAfee removal tool does remove the BT one or it is no longer installed on your PC you will still be protected by Microsofts built in antivirus until you re- download and install BT Virus Protect.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi gg

Yes, it's Win10 I uninstalled Livesafe but could not re-install BT Web Protect.  MYBT extra's say it's ON and BT have emailed me to say it's activated but there is no icon on the desktop or task bar.  When I check the security settings  and installed app's it's not there it shows Microsoft Anti Virus is handling the security on my PC.

Any idea's or do I need to speak to BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

BT Web Protect is network based, its not software, so will not show on your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54056/~/learn-about-bt-web-protect

It works by ensuring that you are always using BTs DNS servers and will disconnect you if your DNS setting get altered on your computer by a virus or similar.

It also filters DNS requests to identify fake sites and preveny you from visiting them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If you are talking about BT Web Protect instead of what I presumed you meant, BT Virus Protect, then as Keith has pointed out, it is not installed on your PC and using it should be used in conjunction with an installed antivirus program and as you have Microsofts antivirus running this will compliment it.

If you were refering to BT Virus Protect, you should be able to download it from your MyBT and install it on your computer, however I would suggest that you don't install it and just use the Microsoft Antivirus which gets better reviews than BT Virus Protect which s just a re-badged version of McAfee.

SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks gg

I took your advise and have started using Microsoft Antivirus which is included with Win 10, it seems much more user friendly for someone not technically conversant.

Thanks

0 Ratings