Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chubba
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

BT Wi-Fi Functionality

Go to solution
Hello

Just joined BT Broadband and going through the settings and came across an opt out of BT Wi-Fi option. I initially thought that BT Wi-Fi just allowed broadband customers to connect to public hotspots in cafés, shopping centres etc.

However, a paragraph explains that

"As a member of the BT Wi-fi community, your home broadband bandwidth will always be prioritised over a roaming BT Wi-fi user."

So that implies a stranger, who is a BT customer, standing in the vicinity of my house can access Wi-Fi using my home broadband bandwidth. Is that correct?

I get the whole community share type arrangement if that is the case but ultimately, is it safe? We're forever told that using Wi-Fi hotspots can be a security risk so would opening up my home broadband to roaming users have the same level of risk to my security?
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Wi-Fi Functionality

Go to solution

@Chubba wrote:
Hello

Just joined BT Broadband and going through the settings and came across an opt out of BT Wi-Fi option. I initially thought that BT Wi-Fi just allowed broadband customers to connect to public hotspots in cafés, shopping centres etc.

However, a paragraph explains that

"As a member of the BT Wi-fi community, your home broadband bandwidth will always be prioritised over a roaming BT Wi-fi user."

So that implies a stranger, who is a BT customer, standing in the vicinity of my house can access Wi-Fi using my home broadband bandwidth. Is that correct? Yes and No. They can use your broadband connection but if you are needing the bandwidth it will be to the detriment of the BT customer who is using BTWifi and they will be slowed or cut off.

I get the whole community share type arrangement if that is the case but ultimately, is it safe? Yes. It uses a totally seperate netwrok from your private network and they can not access yours and you can not access their device when they are connected. We're forever told that using Wi-Fi hotspots can be a security risk so would opening up my home broadband to roaming users have the same level of risk to my security? No. As above.

See link

http://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/common-questions/index.jsp