Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nblackburn
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Wi-Fi Opt out again

Go to solution

When I was connected to BT broadband a month ago I immediately went to opt out of BT Wi-Fi. I logged on to My BT, opened the My BT Wi-fi page and clicked on opt out. This appeared to be successful.

However, my hub is still broadcasting the BT Wi-fi network. If I log back on to My BT, the opt in/out option is now missing from the My BT Wi-fi page. So I tried going to www.bt.com/btfon check my status (after first setting up a @btinternet.com address), but when I try to log on it says 'authentication failed'.

Looking at other forum posts other users have mentioned that going to https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/BTWifiRegistered.do?ServiceName=BTWIFI&Action=DOWNLOAD works. I do see the opt out on this page but when I click on it, it says 'sorry, we have been unable to opt you out of BT wi-fi, please try again'.

I can also still use BT wi-fi hotspots when I'm out and about so it seems the initial opt out was not successful.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Wi-Fi Opt out again

Go to solution
0 Ratings
nblackburn
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @john46

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned in my post that I've tried this route. I've tried it again, both check my status and register for BT wi-fi. They both give me authentication failed: invalid username or password. The username and password work fine via BT Yahoo email.

I've also tried my BT ID, but this obviously fails straight away as it's a gmail account.

It's strange that the opt out button has disappeared from the My BT Wi-fi page on the My BT site for me. It also says I've used none of my BT Wi-fi minutes this month when I have! Something doesn't seem wired up correctly.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
nblackburn
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Is there any chance a mod could have a look at this for me?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @nblackburn and thanks for posting.

I think we'll need to take a closer look at this for you so please send over the details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
nblackburn
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

For the benefit of the forum my issue appears to be fixed. The mods could see that my opt-out was successful but as I have BT Broadband and Mobile this causes confusion in the system relating to BT Wi-fi. I think this is why the My BT page doesn't show the opt out/in option anymore and says I haven't used any BT Wi-fi minutes.

After a factory reset of my HH6 it's no longer broadcasting the BT Wi-fi network.

0 Ratings
lovehate
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hello

I have the same problem as the poster. I've been trying to opt out of BT Fon/Wifi for couple of weeks now via the opt out button in My BT. It keeps saying I will be opted out in 24hrs but that never happens - BT FON is stil active on BT Home Hub and the wireless connection is still available for it.

Any solutions?

Thanks

0 Ratings
nblackburn
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @lovehate,

Do you have the new Smart Hub? If so, a factory reset on it worked for me.

0 Ratings
lovehate
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

No. I have a HH3. 

There should be a sticky for WiFi opt out as it sounds a very common problem. <Hint, hint ModsSmiley Wink)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@lovehate Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings